Orthogonal Projection onto Hilbert Subspace

In summary, the purpose of orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace is to find the closest vector in the subspace to a given vector, with applications in signal processing and data analysis. It differs from regular projection by taking into account both direction and magnitude for a more accurate result. The mathematical formula involves using inner product and norm, and can be performed in higher dimensions. In machine learning, it can be used for dimensionality reduction and finding the closest approximation of a data point.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

I have a fixed unitary matrix, say [itex] X_d \in\mathfrak U(N)[/itex] and a skew Hermitian matrix [itex] H \in \mathfrak u(N) [/itex]. Consider the trace-inner product
[tex] \langle A,B \rangle = \text{Tr}[A^\dagger B ] [/itex]
where the dagger is the Hermitian transpose. I'm trying to find the orthogonal projection of [itex] X_d [/itex] onto the space
[tex] S = \left\{ X \ : \ X = \exp[tH], t \in \mathbb R \right\} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that this problem shouldn't be terribly difficult. The notion of orthogonal projections in Hilbert spaces is well studied. However, I need a concrete value (or even better, a general projection operator) that takes [itex] X_d [/itex] to the point "closest" in S.

Obviously, the distance set-point distance is
[tex] d(X_d, S) = \inf_{X\in S,} \langle X-X_d,X-X_d \rangle [/itex]
but I don't see how this should give me the projection itself. In particular, this is a one dimensional subspace so does that make it easier to find somehow? Hopefully somebody out there can give me a push in the correct direction.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am happy to help you with this problem.

Firstly, let's define the orthogonal projection operator onto a subspace. In general, the projection of a vector v onto a subspace S is given by P_S(v) = u, where u is the closest vector to v in S. In other words, u is the vector in S that minimizes the distance ||v-u||.

In your case, the subspace S is defined as the set of matrices X = exp(tH) where t is a real number. Now, let's consider the projection of X_d onto this subspace. We want to find the matrix X in S that minimizes the distance ||X-X_d||.

Using the trace-inner product, we can rewrite this distance as ||X-X_d||^2 = <X-X_d, X-X_d> = Tr[(X-X_d)^\dagger (X-X_d)]. Expanding this out, we get Tr[X^\dagger X + X_d^\dagger X_d - X^\dagger X_d - X_d^\dagger X].

Now, since we want to minimize this distance, we can take the derivative with respect to X and set it equal to 0. This will give us the matrix X that minimizes the distance. Taking the derivative and setting it equal to 0, we get X = X_d exp(-tH).

So, the projection of X_d onto the subspace S is given by P_S(X_d) = X_d exp(-tH), where t is a real number. This is the closest matrix to X_d in S, and is the solution to your problem.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Feel free to ask any further questions if needed.
Scientist

Related to Orthogonal Projection onto Hilbert Subspace

1. What is the purpose of orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace?

The purpose of orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace is to find the closest vector in the subspace to a given vector. This can be useful in various applications such as signal processing and data analysis.

2. How is orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace different from regular projection?

Regular projection involves finding the closest point in a subspace to a given vector, while orthogonal projection takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the given vector to find the closest vector in the subspace. This results in a more accurate and precise projection.

3. What is the mathematical formula for orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace?

The mathematical formula for orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace involves using the inner product and norm of vectors to calculate the projection. It is represented as Pv = <v, u>u / <u, u> where v is the given vector and u is a vector in the subspace.

4. Can orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace be performed in higher dimensions?

Yes, orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace can be performed in any number of dimensions. The formula and concept remain the same, but the calculations may become more complex.

5. How is orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace used in machine learning?

In machine learning, orthogonal projection onto a Hilbert subspace can be used to reduce the dimensionality of data without losing important information. It can also be used to find the closest approximation of a given data point, which can be useful in classification and clustering tasks.