Orthogonal projecitons, minimizing difference

In summary, the polynomial p of degree at most 1 that minimizes the homework statement is 3x + \frac{1}{2}(e^2 - 7).
usn7564

Homework Statement

Determine the polynomial p of degree at most 1 that minimizes

[tex]\int_0^2 |e^x - p(x)|^2 dx[/tex]

Hint: First find an orthogonal basis for a suitably chosen space of polynomials of degree at most 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed what I wanted was a p(x) of the form
[tex]
p(x) = \frac{<e^x, 1>}{<1,1>} + \frac{<e^x, x>}{<x,x>}x
[/tex]

where the inner product is

[tex]<f, g> = \int_0^2 f(x)\bar{g(x)} dx[/tex]

But this fails just for the first term, ie

[tex]\frac{<e^x, 1>}{<1,1>} = \frac{e^2-1}{2}[/tex] does not coincide with the correct answer

Correct answer:
[tex]p(x) = 3x + \frac{1}{2}(e^2 - 7)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand why the hint says you should find orthogonal polynomials first? And do you know if 1 and x are orthogonal?

Office_Shredder said:
Do you understand why the hint says you should find orthogonal polynomials first? And do you know if 1 and x are orthogonal?
For the first question, yeah I believe so. Thinking in 'normal' linear algebra with a vector u in R^3 the best approximation of that vector in any plane in R^3 will be the orthogonal projection of u onto that plane, and you need an orthogonal basis to find that. Applying the same principle here, or that's what I think anyway.
As for the second, err, I automatically assumed so for whatever reason. Checking now I see that's clearly not the case. I suppose I have to tinker a bit to find a basis that's actually an orthogonal set. Perhaps the inner product shouldn't be what it is too.

Last edited:
usn7564 said:
As for the second, err, I automatically assumed so for whatever reason. Checking now I see that's clearly not the case. I suppose I have to tinker a bit to find a basis that's actually an orthogonal set. That or my inner product is way off.

A good way to find an orthogonal set is to use Gram Schmidt orthogonalization. Admittedly in the two dimensional case you can just figure it out by staring for a while/solving explicitly the equation for two polynomials to be orthogonal, but it's good practice anyway, and you'll feel smarter for doing it :-p

Likes 1 person
Office_Shredder said:
A good way to find an orthogonal set is to use Gram Schmidt orthogonalization. Admittedly in the two dimensional case you can just figure it out by staring for a while/solving explicitly the equation for two polynomials to be orthogonal, but it's good practice anyway, and you'll feel smarter for doing it :-p
Obviously, Christ, should be the same as always except it's not a dot product anymore. Didn't feel like it was even part of my toolbox for some inexplicable reason.

Should be able to figure out the rest now, thank you.

Last edited:

Related to Orthogonal projecitons, minimizing difference

What is an orthogonal projection?

An orthogonal projection is a geometric concept that involves projecting a vector onto a subspace in a way that preserves its length and direction. This means that the projected vector will be perpendicular to the subspace it is projected onto.

What is the purpose of an orthogonal projection?

The purpose of an orthogonal projection is to find the closest vector in a subspace to a given vector. This can be useful in various applications, such as data analysis, where we want to find the best fit for a set of data points.

How do you minimize the difference in an orthogonal projection?

To minimize the difference in an orthogonal projection, we use a mathematical technique called the Gram-Schmidt process. This process involves finding a set of orthogonal vectors that span a given subspace, and then using those vectors to project the given vector onto the subspace.

What is the difference between orthogonal projection and orthogonal regression?

Orthogonal projection and orthogonal regression are both techniques used to find the best fit for a set of data points. However, orthogonal projection finds the best fit within a given subspace, while orthogonal regression finds the best fit for a linear relationship between two variables.

What are some real-world applications of orthogonal projections?

Orthogonal projections have various real-world applications, such as in image and signal processing, data analysis, and machine learning. They can also be used in engineering and physics to find the best approximation for a given system or to solve optimization problems.