Orthogonal and Parallel Vectors

In summary: No. u-cv is supposed to perpendicular to v. Use the dot product! So (u-cv).v=0. Solve...Yes, you would use the dot product to find c.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

For the following vectors 'u' and 'v', express 'u' as the sum u = p + n where 'p' is parallel to 'v' and 'n' is orthogonal to 'v'
u = {-1, 2, 3}
v = {2, 1, 1}

Homework Equations

Dot product
Cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I should say that I do not know how to use latex for determinants, so if somebody can help me out there I could make this problem a bit easier to read. Now, I am aware that two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is 0 and parallel if their cross product is zero. I used this knowledge to attempt to solve the problem:
0 = p x v
0 = n 'dot' v
To attempt to figure out the value of p={a, b, c} I performed the cross product and obtained:
[itex] i (c-b) - j (2c-a) + k (2b-a) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] c = b [/itex]
[itex] 2c = a [/itex]
[itex] 2b = a [/itex]
Next, to attempt to figure out the value of n={x, y, z} I performed a the dot product and obtained:
[itex] (2, 1, 1) dot (x, y, z) [/itex]
[itex] 2x + y + z = 0 [/itex]
At this point I am not sure what to do, if somebody could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

For the following vectors 'u' and 'v', express 'u' as the sum u = p + n where 'p' is parallel to 'v' and 'n' is orthogonal to 'v'
u = {-1, 2, 3}
v = {2, 1, 1}

Homework Equations

Dot product
Cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I should say that I do not know how to use latex for determinants, so if somebody can help me out there I could make this problem a bit easier to read. Now, I am aware that two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is 0 and parallel if their cross product is zero. I used this knowledge to attempt to solve the problem:
0 = p x v
0 = n 'dot' v
To attempt to figure out the value of p={a, b, c} I performed the cross product and obtained:
[itex] i (c-b) - j (2c-a) + k (2b-a) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] c = b [/itex]
[itex] 2c = a [/itex]
[itex] 2b = a [/itex]
Next, to attempt to figure out the value of n={x, y, z} I performed a the dot product and obtained:
[itex] (2, 1, 1) dot (x, y, z) [/itex]
[itex] 2x + y + z = 0 [/itex]
At this point I am not sure what to do, if somebody could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

You are thinking too hard. cv is parallel to v for any choice of scalar c. Let that be parallel part. Then the other part of the sum must be u-cv. Find c by making sure u-cv is perpendicular to v using the dot product.

Dick said:
You are thinking too hard. cv is parallel to v for any choice of scalar c. Let that be parallel part. Then the other part of the sum must be u-cv. Find c by making sure u-cv is perpendicular to v using the dot product.
Ok so I made c =2:
cv = {4, 2, 2} = p
n = u - p = {-1, 2, 3} - {4, 2, 2} = {-5, 0 , 2}
u = p + n = {4, 2, 2} + {-5, 0 ,2} = {-1, 2, 4}
is the problem really this simple? XD

_N3WTON_ said:
Ok so I made c =2:
cv = {4, 2, 2} = p
n = u - p = {-1, 2, 3} - {4, 2, 2} = {-5, 0 , 2}
u = p + n = {4, 2, 2} + {-5, 0 ,2} = {-1, 2, 4}
is the problem really this simple? XD

Yes, it's basically that simple. But I don't get c=2. Your n isn't perpendicular to v. How did you get that?

Dick said:
Yes, it's basically that simple. But I don't get c=2. Your n isn't perpendicular to v. How did you get that?
It was arbitrary, I thought two vectors are parallel so long as their components are proportional, {4, 2, 2} is proportional to {2, 1, 1}, no?

_N3WTON_ said:
It was arbitrary, I thought two vectors are parallel so long as their components are proportional, {4, 2, 2} is proportional to {2, 1, 1}, no?

Yes, but u-cv needs to be perpendicular to v as well. That's what determines c.

Dick said:
Yes, but u-cv needs to be perpendicular to v as well. That's what determines c.
ohhh...ok, let me try again..

nvm I thought I knew how to do it but I dont...would I find c by:
{-1, 2, 3} - c{2, 1, 1} = 0 ?

_N3WTON_ said:
nvm I thought I knew how to do it but I dont...would I find c by:
{-1, 2, 3} - c{2, 1, 1} = 0 ?

No. u-cv is supposed to perpendicular to v. Use the dot product! So (u-cv).v=0. Solve that.

Dick said:
No. u-cv is supposed to perpendicular to v. Use the dot product! So (u-cv).v=0. Solve that.
sorry I thought I solved it but made a mistake...trying again

Ok I got c=1/2, is that correct?

sorry, I should show how I got that...
(u-cv).v = 0
u.v - cv.v = 0
{-1,2,3}.{2,1,1} - c{2,1,1}.{2,1,1} = 0
3 - 6c = 0
c = 1/2

_N3WTON_ said:
sorry, I should show how I got that...
(u-cv).v = 0
u.v - cv.v = 0
{-1,2,3}.{2,1,1} - c{2,1,1}.{2,1,1} = 0
3 - 6c = 0
c = 1/2

Yes, c=1/2 not 2.

Just to state, about the general case, that in any vector space V where orthogonality makes sense and W is a subspace of V , we have ## V= W \oplus W^{\perp} ## then every vector can be written as the sum of a vector w in W and a vector ## w^{\perp}## in ## W^{\perp} ##. This also follows from the Fundamental Theorem of Linear Algebra.

Dick said:
Yes, c=1/2 not 2.
thank you for your help...youre right, i was thinking to much about that one XD

sd
WWGD said:
Just to state, about the general case, that in any vector space V where orthogonality makes sense and W is a subspace of V , we have ## V= W \oplus W^{\perp} ## then every vector can be written as the sum of a vector w in W and a vector ## w^{\perp}## in ## W^{\perp} ##. This also follows from the Fundamental Theorem of Linear Algebra.
I appreciate your help but I'm not familiar with the FToLA (perhaps you could elaborate)...I plan on taking Linear Algebra next semester :D

Related to Orthogonal and Parallel Vectors

1. What is the difference between orthogonal and parallel vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are two vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90 degree angle. Parallel vectors, on the other hand, have the same direction and magnitude, and do not intersect.

2. How can you determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors are orthogonal, you can use the dot product formula. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0, then they are orthogonal. Another way is to visually check if the two vectors form a 90 degree angle.

3. Can orthogonal vectors be linearly dependent?

No, orthogonal vectors are always linearly independent. This means that one vector cannot be expressed as a multiple of the other, and they are not in the same span.

4. How many orthogonal vectors can exist in a 3-dimensional space?

In a 3-dimensional space, there can be at most 3 orthogonal vectors. This is because the three vectors would be mutually perpendicular to each other, and any additional vector would be a linear combination of the three.

5. What is the importance of orthogonal and parallel vectors in real life applications?

Orthogonal and parallel vectors are important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. In physics, they are used to represent forces and motion in different directions. In engineering, they are used in vector calculus to analyze and solve problems. In computer graphics, they are used to represent 3D objects and their transformations.