Origin of this phrase: "We shall see what we shall see..."

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My wife learned this adage from her mother many, many moons go."We shall see what we shall see when we shall see what we shall see."

It bugs me because it is a truism and my gut tells me it's been corrupted from something more pithy.

The only reference I've been able to find is from the Bible, which I doubt is the source. I've always assumed it was from Alice in Wonderland or some other Lewis story, but not that I can find.

Science news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes Bystander
DaveC426913 said:
"We shall see what we shall see when we shall see what we shall see."
I am not implying that your wife's memory is faulty, but to me it makes much more sense when one deletes "shall" #3 and writes instead,

"We shall see what we shall see when we see what we shall see."

In other words, don't try to predict the future, but wait until it comes to you.

kuruman said:
I am not implying that your wife's memory is faulty, but to me it makes much more sense when one deletes "shall" #3 and writes instead,

"We shall see what we shall see when we see what we shall see."

In other words, don't try to predict the future, but wait until it comes to you.
That's all we need.

One would guess the question is, how did the saying originate exactly?

BvU said:
Strongly reminded me of 'che sera, sera'
Well, technically it's que sera sera, but I like your version better...

1699973277142.png

Last edited:
Likes Hornbein
DaveC426913 said:
Well, technically it's que sera sera, but I like your version better...

View attachment 335334
Doris Che?

• Haha
Likes BvU and DaveC426913
Witch Guevarra ?

"we shall see what we shall see and we shall hear what we shall hear"
Puck of Pooks Hill BBC Television C. 1950
John Falloon

Likes DaveC426913

1. What is the origin of the phrase "We shall see what we shall see"?

The phrase "We shall see what we shall see" is a traditional English expression that has been used for centuries. Its exact origin is unclear, but it is often used to suggest a wait-and-see approach, implying that the outcome of a situation is uncertain and only time will reveal the results.

2. Who first used the phrase "We shall see what we shall see"?

There is no specific attribution to a single individual for the first use of the phrase "We shall see what we shall see." It appears to have evolved naturally in the English language as a common idiomatic expression used by various writers and speakers over time.

3. In what context is the phrase "We shall see what we shall see" typically used?

The phrase is typically used in situations where the outcome is uncertain or when someone wants to remain non-committal about predicting the future. It reflects a philosophical or pragmatic attitude towards the unknown, often suggesting patience and a willingness to allow events to unfold naturally.

4. Has the phrase "We shall see what we shall see" appeared in any famous literary works?

While the phrase "We shall see what we shall see" might not be highlighted as a famous quote in well-known literary works, it is the type of colloquial expression that might appear in various forms of literature, including novels, plays, and poems, particularly those that capture everyday speech and dialogues.

5. How has the usage of the phrase "We shall see what we shall see" evolved over time?

Over time, the phrase "We shall see what we shall see" has maintained a fairly consistent usage, primarily retaining its original meaning. It is still used to express uncertainty about the future and to suggest a passive, observant approach to upcoming events. However, its usage in formal contexts may have diminished, with a preference for more direct or modern expressions in professional or academic settings.