Organizing and Databasing Papers/Science Articles

• Thread starter FortranMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Articles
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a database program to organize a large collection of research papers. The use of Microsoft Access is suggested, but the individual is looking for a free alternative. The website Zotero is recommended as it allows for the management of references, including pdfs and links, and integrates with word processors and university library resources. It works best with Firefox but can also be used with Chrome.
FortranMan
I'm beginning to build a large collection of papers for my research and it is getting bewildering trying to navigate them and collect their citation information. Right now I keep making a text file in each directory with the citation information of each paper and their file name. Is their a database program that can run on a flash drive or a computer to organize my papers and that I can search through? Does bibtex do something similar?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks Greg, but does anyone know of any free alternatives?

http://www.zotero.org/"

Edited to add: Allows you to manage all your references, including pdfs of the papers, links to webpages, fully searchable, and organized by "collections" and tags. Integrates with MS Word and OpenOffice.org to automate production of bibliographies. Also automates searching for books/papers in your university library, and automates logging into journal websites through your library proxy. Works best with Firefox, but I think they have chrome integration now.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist and researcher, I completely understand the struggle of organizing and managing a large collection of papers. Keeping track of citations and file names can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Luckily, there are several database programs and tools available that can help streamline this process.

One option is to use a reference management software such as EndNote, Mendeley, or Zotero. These programs allow you to store and organize your papers, add citation information, and even generate bibliographies and citations in various styles. Many of these programs also have search functions that allow you to easily find specific papers within your collection.

Another option is to use a database program such as Microsoft Access or FileMaker Pro. These programs allow you to create your own customized database for organizing and storing your papers. You can include fields for citation information, keywords, and even abstracts to make searching and sorting through your papers easier.

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with using LaTeX, bibtex is a great tool for managing citations and references. It allows you to create a database of references and easily insert them into your documents. However, it may require some technical knowledge to set up and use effectively.

Overall, I would recommend exploring different options and finding the one that best fits your needs and preferences. With the right database program or tool, organizing and navigating through your collection of papers should become much more efficient and less overwhelming.

Related to Organizing and Databasing Papers/Science Articles

1. How do I organize my papers and articles effectively?

The best way to organize papers and articles is to create a system that works for you. This could include organizing by topic, date, or author. Use folders or labels to keep everything in one place and make it easy to find what you need.

2. What software can I use for databasing my papers and articles?

There are several software options available for databasing papers and articles, such as EndNote, Mendeley, and Zotero. These programs allow you to store and organize your papers, add notes and annotations, and generate citations and bibliographies.

3. How do I keep track of the sources I use in my research?

One way to keep track of sources is by using a reference management software, as mentioned above. You can also create a spreadsheet or document to keep track of the sources you use, including the author, title, publication date, and any other relevant information.

4. Is it important to regularly update my database of papers and articles?

Yes, it is important to regularly update your database of papers and articles. This ensures that you have the most current and relevant information for your research. You can set a schedule to review and update your database, such as once a month or after completing a project.

5. How can I ensure my database is organized and easy to search?

To ensure your database is organized and easy to search, make sure to use consistent naming conventions for your files, add relevant tags or keywords, and regularly review and update your organization system. You can also use the search function within your reference management software to quickly find specific papers or articles.