Organic Chemistry: PhenylEthene Solidifies when Exposed to Air

In summary, Me and my friends have been discussing why PhenylEthene solidifies when exposed to air. We came up with an explanation involving oxidation and hydrogen bonding, but our teacher's explanation is that it undergoes an addition polymerisation reaction with oxygen acting as an initiator or catalyst. However, this explanation may not be entirely accurate as oxidation of an alkene to a diol is not a spontaneous reaction and intermolecular hydrogen bonding in diols may not lead to long range hydrogen bonding. It is more likely that light, rather than oxygen, acts as a catalyst in the polymerisation process.
Oerg
Hi

Me and my friends have been cracking our heads over this question:

Why does PhenylEthene solidify when exposed to air?

Me and my friends have come up with an explanation:

The oxygen in the air oxidises the phenylethene to a diol. The hydrogen bonds existing between the molecules bring them closer, thus it solidifies.

My teacher's explanation was that PhenylEthene undergoes an addition polymerisation reaction and the oxygen in the air acts as an initiator/catalyst for the reaction/.

My question is, why is the first explanation unacceptable and secondly, is oxygen really an initiator or catalyst for addition polymerisation reactions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What mechanism would you propose for your reaction?

Your teacher's explanation involves a free radical process, the unsaturated compound, such as oil, will form a thin flexible plastic which is the polymer formed from the radical reactions. If you were to propose a radical mechanism, how would you explain your diol, it's quite implausible right?

The diols would probably interact intramolecularly, this would mean relatively less intermolecular hydrogen bonding and I'm not quite sure how one would make out a long range hydrogen bonding, even of an alcohol of phenylethene. You may want to explore melting points of alcohols in general, it would make a great school project, although I think that alcohols have generally high mps.

Phenylethene is nothing but styrene. And as far as I'm aware, the polymerization of styrene to polystyrene goes via a free radical mechanism. So, I believe the catalyst is light (possibly in the UV range) rather than oxygen (I can't see what role oxygen would play in this polymerization).

As for your explanation, I see the following problems :

1. Oxidation of an alkene to a diol is not a spontaneous reaction. It often needs a strong oxidizer like KMnO4 and a catalyst (in addition to water and possibly H+)

2. Intermolecular H-bonds in diols may, if at all, lead to dimerization. The geometry doesn't appear conducive to metwork formation. Also, intermolecular H-bonding in 1,2-diols, I believe, is relatively weak due to the formation of intramolecular H-bonds.

EDIT : Looks like GCT's covered essentially the same ground. I defer to his judgement on this.

Last edited:
ok... so my teacher was wrong for proposing that oxygen is an initiator of the addition polymerisation lol.

Thanks for your explanations. I appreaciate your help.

Related to Organic Chemistry: PhenylEthene Solidifies when Exposed to Air

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of compounds containing carbon atoms. It focuses on the structure, properties, and reactions of these carbon-containing molecules.

2. What is phenylEthene?

PhenylEthene, also known as styrene, is a colorless liquid that is commonly used in the production of plastics, rubber, and resins. It is composed of a benzene ring attached to an ethylene group and has the chemical formula C8H8.

3. Why does phenylEthene solidify when exposed to air?

This is due to a process called polymerization, where the molecules of phenylEthene join together to form long chains, resulting in a solid material. This reaction is initiated by oxygen in the air and can be accelerated by heat or light.

4. What are the properties of solidified phenylEthene?

The solidified form of phenylEthene, known as polystyrene, is a hard, transparent, and lightweight material. It is resistant to water and many chemicals, making it a versatile material used in various industries.

5. Is phenylEthene safe for use in everyday products?

While phenylEthene itself is not considered toxic, the process of polymerization can release harmful by-products and emissions. The production and disposal of polystyrene can also have negative impacts on the environment. It is important to use and dispose of products containing phenylEthene responsibly.