Organic Chemistry over the Summer

In summary, if you want to do well in Organic Chem you should: -Take a summer ochem course if you can, it's not that hard-Do a lot of problems-Memorize a table of general guidelines-Understand why reactions happen and know the exceptions
spiff711
Hey guys,

I have a quick question.
I signed up to take Organic over the summer trying to get in all the pre-reqs for a 2+4 Pharm-D program. I would really like to do well in this class and was wondering is there anything I should review or any good study habits or methods I can use to ace this class. I'm currently enrolled in Gen. Chem II and taking a good amount of hours, so I don't have too much time to study for a class I'm not currently enrolled in.

I checked out ratemyprofessor.com and my professor seems like a real treat... so that has got me pretty worried. Any study strategies that worked well for you in Organic Chem?

Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Read the chapter the prof is covering before you go to class. Sit up front.
Flashcards are your friend.

Taking organic chemistry over the summer is generally a bad idea... You can do well in it, but you probably won't learn much... Organic chemistry takes a while to get used to...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I took a 6 week ochem II summer course. I found ochem I a lot easier, but then again I took that during a normal semester. The course gets a bad rap but its not really that hard. To do well just do a lot of problems. If you study everything in lecture and read the text but wait until a few days before the test to start doing problems you'll struggle. The hard thing in Ochem I is predicting what type of reaction is going to take place (sn1,sn2,e1,e2). Memorize a little table that gives general guidelines for what type of reaction will go down, understand why, and know all the exceptions. Even after this your bound to make mistakes because there are so many things to consider for each reaction. Get a separate notebook for homework problems and write what you did wrong in the margin. Keep track of what problems you got wrong and try them again a few days later to see if you learned from your mistakes.

Related to Organic Chemistry over the Summer

What is Organic Chemistry over the Summer?

Organic Chemistry over the Summer is a course that covers the study of compounds containing carbon and their reactions. It is typically offered during the summer semester and is designed to be completed in a shorter time frame than a traditional semester-long course.

Why is Organic Chemistry important to study?

Organic Chemistry is important because it is the basis for understanding the chemical processes that occur in living organisms. It is also essential for many fields of science, such as medicine, pharmacology, and biochemistry.

Can I take Organic Chemistry over the Summer and still receive the same credit as a regular semester course?

Yes, in most cases, Organic Chemistry over the Summer will still count towards the required credit hours for your degree, just like a regular semester course. However, it is always best to check with your academic advisor to confirm.

What are the benefits of taking Organic Chemistry over the Summer?

Taking Organic Chemistry over the Summer allows you to complete the course in a shorter time frame, which can be beneficial if you have a busy schedule or need to fulfill prerequisites for other courses. It also allows you to focus solely on one subject and immerse yourself in the material.

Is Organic Chemistry over the Summer more challenging than a regular semester course?

The difficulty level of Organic Chemistry over the Summer is typically the same as a regular semester course. However, since the material is condensed, it may require a more intensive study schedule and a strong foundation in chemistry concepts.