Organic Chemistry and propanone

In summary, the chemical test to distinguish between propanone and propanal is using an ammoniacal solution of silver, which will cause propanone to form a white precipitate while propanal will not. When propanone reacts with hydrogen cyanide, the N-bonds will break and attach to propanone. The reaction with sodium tetrahydridoborate(III) (sodium borohydride) will reduce it to an alcohol, but the mechanism is unknown. The last question distinguishes aldehydes from ketones, with only aldehydes being able to react with Tollens reagent and 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine. There are two isomers
nathaniell
1)Give a chemical test that can be used to distinguis between separate samples of propanone and propanal. Give a suitable reagent for the test and describe what you would obsrve with propanone and with propanal.

2) Outline the reaction of propanone with the following reagents. Give the equation for the reaction, the conditions, and the name of the organic product.
(i)Hydrogen cyanide
(ii)dodium tetrahydridoborate(III) (sodium borohydride)
(iii)what type of mechanism is this
(iv) what feature of the carbonyl group makes this type of mechanism possible? Explain how this feature arises?

3)Three isomers A,B, and C have the molecular formula C4H8O. All three compouds give an orange precipitate with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine reagent. B and C give a silver mirror when waremed in ammoniacal silver nitratesolution. Write the strcutural formulae of A,B and C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we will help. What have you tried with this problem?

My idea to the separate samples of propanone and propanal is to use an ammoniacal solution of silve which propanone should show some change(a white precipitate) and propanal does not

While when propanone reacts with hydrogen cynaide the N-bonds will break and will be attached to propanone

While the last one I have had no ideas

Youre right on the tollens reagent test. Propanal will also give a red ppt with benedicts solution and felhings reagent (of Cu2O).

On the cyanide reaction, the N-bonds won't break, CN- will act as a nucleophile and attack the carbonyl carbon to form a cynohydrin.

The NaBH4 will reduce it to alcohol, but I don't know what mechanism makes it possible.

For the last one, if they give red ppt with 2,4-DNP, then they have a hydroxy group (OH). If they react with tollens reagent (ammonical silver nitrate), then they are aldehydes.

nathaniell said:
My idea to the separate samples of propanone and propanal is to use an ammoniacal solution of silve which propanone should show some change(a white precipitate) and propanal does not

While when propanone reacts with hydrogen cynaide the N-bonds will break and will be attached to propanone

You have that backwards. Only aldehydes react with the Tollens reagent.

nathaniell said:
...While when propanone reacts with hydrogen cynaide the N-bonds will break and will be attached to propanone

What is name of the product of cyanide reacting with a ketone?

The last question only distinguishes the aldehydes from the ketones. All will react with 2,4-DNP but only an aldehyde(s) can react with the Tollen's reagent. Obviously there are two isomers of aldehydes with the empirical formula C4H8O. Can you draw the two isomers?

Related to Organic Chemistry and propanone

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, structures, and reactions. It is a broad field that includes the study of molecules found in living organisms, as well as synthetic compounds.

2. What is propanone?

Propanone, also known as acetone, is a colorless, flammable liquid with a distinct odor. It is a common solvent and is used in a variety of industrial and household products. It is also produced naturally in the human body as a byproduct of metabolism.

3. What are the properties of organic compounds?

Organic compounds have a wide range of properties, but some general characteristics include low melting and boiling points, insolubility in water, and the ability to burn or decompose when exposed to high heat. They also tend to have complex structures and can form strong bonds with other elements.

4. How is propanone produced?

Propanone is primarily produced through the dehydrogenation of isopropanol, a process that involves heating isopropanol with a catalyst to remove hydrogen atoms. It can also be produced through the oxidation of propene, a petrochemical compound.

5. What are the uses of propanone?

Propanone has a variety of uses in industry, including as a solvent in paint, varnish, and nail polish remover. It is also used in the production of plastics, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. In addition, it is used as a cleaning agent and in some cosmetic and personal care products.