Ordinary Differential Equations - Existence/Uniqueness Proof

In summary, an ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation used to model dynamic systems in various fields. The existence and uniqueness theorem for ODEs states that there is a unique solution for a given initial value problem (IVP) if the function and its derivatives are continuous. To prove the existence and uniqueness of a solution, one must show continuity of the function and its derivatives, as well as satisfying the initial conditions. There is a difference between global and local existence of solutions for ODEs, where global existence means the solution exists for all values in the interval, and local existence means it only exists in a certain interval. An ODE can have at most one solution that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions, but
Tsunoyukami
I'm having some difficulty with a problem from Boyce & DiPrima's Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, 9th Edition. The problem comes from Section 2.8: The Existence and Uniqueness Theorem and is part of a collection of problems intended to show that the sequence ##{\phi_n(t)}## converges, where

$$\phi_{n+1}(t) = \int_0^t f[s,\phi_n(s)] ds$$

with ##\phi_0(t) = 0##. The problem requires the following two results:

1) If ##\phi_{n-1}(t)## and ##\phi_n(t)## are members of the sequence ##{\phi_n(t)}## then
$$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq K|\phi_n(t) - \phi_{n-1}(t)|$$
where ##K## is chosen to be the maximum value of ##\frac{∂f}{∂y}## in the region ##D##.

2) If ##|t|<h##, then
$$|\phi_1(t)| \leq M|t|$$
where ##M## is chosen so that ##|f(t,y)|\leq M## for ##(t,y)## in ##D##.

The problem is as follows: "Use the results of Problem 16 and part (a) of Problem 17 [Results 1 and 2 above, respectively] to show that ##|\phi_2(t) - \phi_1(t)| \leq \frac{MK|t|^2}{2}##."

(The problem and results are found in Boyce & DiPrima's Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, 9th Edition; Problem 2.8.17(b); pg. 120.)I've been struggling with this problem even though it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. From now on I'm going to write ##\phi_n(t) = \phi_n## for the sake of laziness. I've been playing around with a few different approaches - I tried writing out the left-hand side of my desired result explicitly using the definition of ##\phi_n## which gives me

$$|\phi_2 - \phi_1| = | \int_0^t f(s,\phi_1) ds - \int_0^t f(s,\phi_0) ds | = | \int_0^t f(s,\phi_1) - f(s,\phi_0) ds | $$

I got stuck here. I can almost apply Result 1 now, but not quite since I have my integrand inside the absolute value...and even if I could it didn't yield promising results. Then I thought of using the inequality ##|x-y| \leq | |x| - |y| |## which let me express ##|\phi_1| ## using Result 2 but I was again stuck with no way to write ##|\phi_2|##.

I noticed that the right-hand side of the first result looks very similar to the left-hand side of what I wish to show when you take ##n=2## but that didn't get me very far either:

$$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq K|\phi_n(t) - \phi_{n-1}(t)|$$

So I could try to show

$$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq \frac{MK^2|t|^2}{2}$$

But then I realized that this is only true if I assume that what I want to show is true and so this shouldn't be the approach I take.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I feel like this should be pretty straightforward, but I'm lost for ideas right now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with what you have:
## | \phi_2 - \phi_1 | \leq \left| \int _0^t f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) ds \right| ##
You can move the absolute value inside the integral to get:
## \left| \int _0^t f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) ds \right| \leq \int _0^t \left| f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) \right| ds##
Then you can apply rule 1.
Expanding that out and doing the same steps should get you to something that looks like :
## \int_0^t | \phi_1 | ds ##
Which should look like the result you need.

Sorry, I used the wrong subscripts on the phis inside the integral...after you apply rule 1, use the fact that ##\phi_0= 0##, and then apply rule 2.
Just to be clear...when I see ## MK|t|^2 / 2 ##, I am looking for something that looks like ##\int_0^t MK|s| ds##.

I got stuck here. I can almost apply Result 1 now, but not quite since I have my integrand inside the absolute value...and even if I could it didn't yield promising results. Then I thought of using the inequality |x−y|≤||x|−|y|| which let me express |ϕ1| using Result 2 but I was again stuck with no way to write |ϕ2|.

I just want to mention the inequality ##|x - y| \leq \left| |x| - |y| \right|## is not true. The correct inequality would be ##|x - y| \geq \left| |x| - |y| \right|##.

You have correctly expanded the left hand side of what you want to show:

$$| \phi_2(t) - \phi_1(t) | = \left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) \space ds - \int_0^t f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right| = \left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right|$$

As RUber has stated, you can use the property ##\left| \int_a^b f(x) \space dx \right| \leq \int_a^b |f(x)| \space dx## to write:

$$\left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right| \leq \int_0^t \left| f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \right| \space ds$$

After applying rule #1 and the triangle inequality, you are going to wind up with something like:

$$K \int_0^t \left| \phi_1(s) - \phi_0(s) \right| \space ds \leq K \int_0^t |\phi_1(s)| + |\phi_0(s)| \space ds$$

Then you need to apply rule #2 in terms of ##s##. The condition ##\phi_0(t) = 0## will also be important to use.

Last edited:

Related to Ordinary Differential Equations - Existence/Uniqueness Proof

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is the existence and uniqueness theorem for ODEs?

The existence and uniqueness theorem for ODEs states that for a given initial value problem (IVP), there exists a unique solution in a certain interval as long as the function and its derivatives are continuous. This means that there is only one possible solution that satisfies both the ODE and the initial conditions.

3. How do you prove the existence and uniqueness of a solution to an ODE?

To prove the existence and uniqueness of a solution to an ODE, one must show that the function and its derivatives are continuous and that the solution satisfies the given initial conditions. This can be done using various techniques such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem or the method of successive approximations.

4. What is the difference between global and local existence of solutions for ODEs?

Global existence of solutions for ODEs means that the solution exists for all values in the interval of interest, while local existence means that the solution exists only in a certain interval. The existence and uniqueness theorem guarantees local existence, but global existence may not always be guaranteed.

5. Can an ODE have multiple solutions?

No, an ODE can have at most one solution that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions. This is known as the uniqueness part of the existence and uniqueness theorem. However, for some ODEs, it may be possible to have multiple solutions that satisfy the equation but have different initial conditions.