Ordering other than normal

In summary, Alternate orderings of integers can be considered by mathematicians and do not affect their arithmetic properties. This can include sorting even and odd numbers separately, setting a specific integer at the beginning of the order, or using a bijection to sort based on the counterpart rational number. However, these alternate orderings may not have a "first integer" or may be a "partial order".
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
In another thread
fresh_42 said:
I don't have a specific example in mind, but there could be a solution in domains other than the integers and with an ordering other than our normal ordering. It all depends on which meanings you attach to the symbols you use.
This has me curious about "ordering other than our normal ordering." What does this mean? I take it that "normal ordering (of integers)" is ... 0, 1, 2, 3... Do mathematicians consider alternate orderings like ...0, 2, 1, 3... That doesnt seem to make sense to me, that's more like changing the names. Or is it like complex numbers, where it isn't really clear what Z1 > Z2 means.

I think I'm looking for pointers to where "alternate orderings" would be described / discussed.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Other than normal has to be user defined!

gmax137 said:
In another thread

This has me curious about "ordering other than our normal ordering." What does this mean? I take it that "normal ordering (of integers)" is ... 0, 1, 2, 3... Do mathematicians consider alternate orderings like ...0, 2, 1, 3...
Yes. Mathematicians consider orderings like that. Look at this article about total orders.

Thinking about a different order for the integers does not affect their arithmetic properties. You still have 2 + 2 = 4 even though 4 may not be the number after the number after 2 in the new ordering.

For instance, you could sort all of the even numbers up front and put all of the odd numbers behind.

Or you could put 42 up front and leave all of the other numbers in the standard order behind.

Or you could set up a bijection (a one to one mapping) between the integers and the rational numbers and sort the integers in order by their counterpart rational number according to the chosen bijection.

The resulting ordering might not have a "first integer". That would mean that it is not a "well ordering".

You might weaken the order so that you do not require that all integers be comparable at all. That sort of thing would be a "partial order"

• Informative
Likes gmax137

1. What is "ordering other than normal"?

"Ordering other than normal" refers to the process of placing an order for something that is not typically available for purchase or is not part of the usual inventory of a company or organization. This can include special requests, custom orders, or items that are out of stock.

2. How do I place an order other than normal?

The process for placing an order other than normal may vary depending on the company or organization. In most cases, you will need to contact the company directly and provide details about the item you wish to order. They may have a specific form or procedure for handling these types of orders.

3. Can I cancel or change an order other than normal?

This will depend on the policies of the company or organization you are ordering from. If the item has already been customized or specially ordered for you, it may not be possible to cancel or change the order. It is best to contact the company as soon as possible to inquire about their cancellation and change policies.

4. How long does it take to receive an order other than normal?

The time frame for receiving an order other than normal will vary depending on the item and the company's process for handling these types of orders. It is important to discuss the estimated timeline with the company before placing the order to ensure that it will meet your needs.

5. Is there an additional cost for ordering other than normal?

In most cases, there will be an additional cost for ordering other than normal. This may be due to the customization or special handling required for the item. It is important to discuss any potential additional costs with the company before placing the order to avoid any surprises.