'order of operations' in sets?

In summary: If it's not a typo in the book, take the intersection first. For the reason I have above. When people generalize intersections and unions to Boolean algebra, intersection is multiplication and union is addition. If you have to interpret this as opposed to asking your teacher if its a typo, then the only choice is taking the intersection first.Yes, I'm going to ask the teacher because nothing along these lines were in the text. I doubt it's a typo though, as it happens again in another question! Thanks.Interesting, when you type in 'b union c intersection a' into WolframAlpha, it produces a Venn diagram that is equivalent to 'b union (c intersection a)'.
kmwest
Hello all. Currently working on simplifying some Boolean expressions, one of the questions is:

( A int B U C) int B

I do not know how to go about simplifying the first term because there are not any parentheses within it and I have both the intersection and union symbols. Is there an order of operations, so to speak, where the union or intersect takes priority? Or I work left-to-right within a set of parentheses, etc. I've searched my textbooks and the Internet and I haven't found anything. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, an expression like [itex]A\cap B\cup C[/itex] is ill-defined. It needs brackets to let it mean whatever you want it to mean.

So perhaps you copied this problem wrong?? Or the book makes an assumption that is nonstandard (in which case you should read the book to find it).

There is a bar over the ( A int B U C) , another bar over the latter B, and another bar over everything. But I don't think that would affect the result.

I've done Boolean expressions before in a discrete math class (this is just an introductory chapter for a reliability engineering course) so this looks so unusual to me. I just re-read the section in the book and it has nothing like this, and only has the odd-looking expressions in the exercises.

kmwest said:
There is a bar over the ( A int B U C) , another bar over the latter B, and another bar over everything. But I don't think that would affect the result.

I've done Boolean expressions before in a discrete math class (this is just an introductory chapter for a reliability engineering course) so this looks so unusual to me. I just re-read the section in the book and it has nothing like this, and only has the odd-looking expressions in the exercises.

I've never seen anyone write (A int B U C) because it's so ambiguous. But if I HAD to evaluate it, I would give intersection higher precedence than union, because intersection is analogous to multiplication, and union is analogous to addition. But I've never seen that convention used the way you have it here. I wonder if there's a typo.

Exactly what are the bars over? And are they bars as in "logical negation" or bars as in "topological closure?" Are you in set theory class or real analysis class? The more context you can give, the better.

I just made the attached in Paint. This isn't even for a math class, it is part of a reliability engineering course. It is part of an early chapter on basic related math, including probability distributions and very introductory set theory.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,106
kmwest said:
I just made the attached in Paint. This isn't even for a math class, it is part of a reliability engineering course. It is part of an early chapter on basic related math, including probability distributions and very introductory set theory.

If it's not a typo in the book, take the intersection first. For the reason I have above. When people generalize intersections and unions to Boolean algebra, intersection is multiplication and union is addition. If you have to interpret this as opposed to asking your teacher if its a typo, then the only choice is taking the intersection first.

Yes, I'm going to ask the teacher because nothing along these lines were in the text. I doubt it's a typo though, as it happens again in another question! Thanks.

Interesting, when you type in 'b union c intersection a' into WolframAlpha, it produces a Venn diagram that is equivalent to 'b union (c intersection a)'. So you seem to be right, intersection should be taken first. (Prof hasn't got back to me yet...)

micromass said:
In my experience, an expression like [itex]A\cap B\cup C[/itex] is ill-defined. It needs brackets to let it mean whatever you want it to mean.

So perhaps you copied this problem wrong?? Or the book makes an assumption that is nonstandard (in which case you should read the book to find it).

Within some fields (e.g. electronic logic circuit design) it is coventional to use the same notation conventions as the algebra of numbers, where addition is analogous to union and multiplication is analogous to intersection. So AB + CD means (A intersection B) union (C intersection D).

But I agree that if you don't know the context, the OP's notation is ambiguous.

Related to 'order of operations' in sets?

1. What is the order of operations in sets?

The order of operations in sets is a set of rules that determine the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed within a set. These operations include parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.

2. Why is it important to follow the order of operations in sets?

Following the order of operations in sets ensures that the result of a mathematical expression is always the same, regardless of the order in which the operations are performed. This is important for maintaining consistency and accuracy in mathematical calculations.

3. How does the order of operations in sets differ from regular arithmetic operations?

The order of operations in sets follows the acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction), while regular arithmetic operations follow the acronym BODMAS (Brackets, Order, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction). This means that in sets, parentheses and exponents are given higher precedence than multiplication and division, while in regular arithmetic, brackets and division are given higher precedence.

4. Can the order of operations in sets be changed?

The order of operations in sets is fixed and cannot be changed. It is a universally accepted convention in mathematics and is necessary for maintaining consistency and accuracy in calculations.

5. Are there any exceptions or special cases in the order of operations in sets?

There are no exceptions or special cases in the order of operations in sets. However, if there are multiple operations at the same level, they should be performed from left to right. For example, in the expression 6÷2×3, both division and multiplication are at the same level, so they should be performed from left to right, resulting in a final answer of 9.