Order of integration and taking limits

In summary, the conversation discusses a limit involving an integral in contour integration and the questions of whether the order of operations matters and how to integrate the exponential of an exponential. It is noted that the order of operations does matter and that there are certain conditions that need to be met for an exchange of limit and integration to be valid. The conversation also mentions that physicists may not be concerned with these technicalities as long as the result matches their experiments.
dyn
Hi.
I came across the following integral in contour integration
lim(ε→0) "integral of" exp(iaεe) dθ = θ
If I take the limit first then it just becomes the integral of 1 which is θ.

I have 2 questions -
If I take the limit first and then perform the integral do I always get the same answer as when I do the integral first and then take the limit ? In other words does the order of operations matter ?

If I wanted to do the integral first , how do I integrate the exponential of an exponential ? I have never seen one before.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi.
I came across the following integral in contour integration
lim(ε→0) "integral of" exp(iaεe) dθ = θ
If I take the limit first then it just becomes the integral of 1 which is θ.

I have 2 questions -
If I take the limit first and then perform the integral do I always get the same answer as when I do the integral first and then take the limit ?
No.
In other words does the order of operations matter ?
Yes.
There are two helpful results for the real case in this context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominated_convergence_theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatou's_lemma
If I wanted to do the integral first , how do I integrate the exponential of an exponential ? I have never seen one before.
It would probably be easier to prove that the conditions for an exchange of limit and integration are given.

Thanks for your reply. I am learning complex analysis from a physics background and to be honest most of those references were over my head

The best explanation I had found is

"Even if all ##f_n## and the limit function ##f## are integrable, the convergence of the integral sequence does in general not hold! The integrable major function (first link) prevents the sequence of functions ##f_n## from escaping to infinity."

This means we need something that dominates the limit sequence from above. As all your function values are on the unit circle, I guess this could be achieved in this case. And as a side note: physicists don't bother as long as the result matches their experiments, but do not quote me on that. :wink:

Related to Order of integration and taking limits

1. What is the significance of the order of integration in taking limits?

The order of integration refers to the sequence in which we integrate a function with respect to multiple variables. In taking limits, the order of integration can affect the value of the limit, as changing the order can result in a different outcome.

2. How do you determine the order of integration for a given problem?

The order of integration is typically determined by the given function and the limits of integration. One approach is to integrate with respect to the variable that has a smaller range of values first, followed by the other variable(s).

3. What is the difference between taking a limit and integrating a function?

Taking a limit involves evaluating the behavior of a function as a variable approaches a certain value. Integrating a function, on the other hand, involves finding the area under the curve of the function over a given interval.

4. Can the order of integration affect the convergence of a limit?

Yes, the order of integration can affect the convergence of a limit. In some cases, changing the order of integration can result in a limit that is either convergent or divergent.

5. How does changing the order of integration affect the final result?

Changing the order of integration can result in a different value for the final result. This is because integrating with respect to different variables can lead to different outcomes, and in some cases, the order of integration can affect the convergence of the limit as well.