Order of image conjugacy class divides conjugacy class?

In summary, the order of the conjugacy class C' divides the order of the conjugacy class C, as shown by the fact that ψ restricts to a surjective map from C to C', and using the class equation and the surjectivity of ψ.
lonewolf5999
I have a surjective group homomorphism ψ:G → G', and I've shown that if an element x in G has conjugacy class C and its image ψ(x) has conjugacy class C', then ψ restricts to a surjective map from C to C'.

Now I'd like to show that the order of C' divides C. I know from the class equation that |C| divides |G|, that |C'| divides |G'|, and that due to surjectivity, |G'| divides |G|, so |C| divides |G|. I can't see how to piece these facts together to show that |C'| divides |C| though, or how to use what I proved in the first part, so there's definitely something I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the fact that ψ restricts to a surjective map from C to C'.Since ψ restricts to a surjective map from C to C', that means that for each element c' in C', there exists an element c in C such that ψ(c) = c'. But since ψ is a group homomorphism, that means that ψ(c^n) = (c')^n for any natural number n. Therefore, if you can show that |C| = |C'| then you will have shown that |C'| divides |C|. To do this, you can use the fact that the order of C' divides |G'|. Since ψ is a surjective group homomorphism, |G'| divides |G|, and since |C| divides |G|, it follows that |C'| divides |C|.

Related to Order of image conjugacy class divides conjugacy class?

1. What is the "Order of image conjugacy class divides conjugacy class"?

The "Order of image conjugacy class divides conjugacy class" is a mathematical concept that relates to the structure of groups. It states that the order of the image of a conjugacy class under a group homomorphism must divide the order of the conjugacy class itself.

2. What is a conjugacy class?

A conjugacy class is a subset of a group consisting of elements that are all conjugate to each other. This means that they can be transformed into one another by applying an element of the group.

3. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a group. This means that it maps the group's operation onto itself, so that the result of combining two elements in the domain is the same as the result of combining their images in the codomain.

4. How is the order of a conjugacy class determined?

The order of a conjugacy class is determined by the number of elements in the class. This is equal to the index of the centralizer of any element in the class, which is the subgroup of the group that fixes the element under conjugation.

5. What is the significance of the "Order of image conjugacy class divides conjugacy class" concept?

This concept has important implications in group theory and has many applications in other areas of mathematics. It helps to classify and understand the structure of groups, and can also be used to prove theorems about specific groups or group homomorphisms.