Order of Group Elements in Abelian and Non-Abelian Groups

In summary, if a group of order 2p (p prime) is abelian, it has exactly one element of order 2. In the non-abelian case, there are p elements of order 2. Any group of order 2p has an element of order p. If a group has order p^a, where a>=1 and p is prime, then it has an element of order p. If G is a group where a^2=e for each a in G, then the order of G is 2^n for some n>=0. The group of 3 non-singular upper triangular matrices is not a normal subgroup of GL(3,R). If all elements in a group have order
astronut24
if a group of order 2p ( p prime) is abelian...then does it have exactly one element of order 2 ?? if a group is non abelian...i could figure out that there are p elements of order 2. but the abelian case is a bit confusing...
also..is it like...any group of order 2p has an element of order p?

if a group has orer p^a , a>=1 where p is prime...then I've got to show that G has an element of order p.
can i say that any non-identity element in G can have order p or p^2 or p^3...or p^a. then if x in G is of the form x^(p^i) =e ...we can say, (x^(p^(i-1))^p= e and we've found an element x^(p^(i-1)) that is of order p...it seems too simple to be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose G is abelian and has 2 elements of order 2, say a and b...then {e,a,b,ab} becomes a subgroup of G. but 4 does not divide 2p unless p=2. if p=2 then anyway {e,a} is a subgroup of G of order 2( p in this case).

thanks for the help!
here's another question on the same lines: if G is a group where a^2=e for each a in G. show that order of G is 2^n for some n >=0. it's clear that the group is abelian and also clear that 2 divides O(G). how do you proceed further? by any chance, is it induction that we're supposed to use?

The first answer also follows by the observation that any abelian group of order 2p for p an odd prime is cyclic.

The second follows from the fact that if p is a prime and p divides |G| then there is an element of order p in G.

if G is a group such that a^2=e for each a in G. show that order of G is 2^n for some n>=0.
please help...
is the group of 3 non-singular upper triangular matrices a normal subgroup of
GL(3,R), the group of 3 cross 3 non singular matrices over R.

I've answered the a^2=e for all a in G one.

As for the p^r one, all elements have order dividing p^r say the order of g is p^s, then p^{s-1] has order p.

And why don't you just do the matrix one? it simple boils down to multiplying matrices together.

Hint: it's probably easier to find a counter example.

Just to put here another useful result: if G is any group and all of its elements have order 2 then it is abelian. proof an exercise (hint what is (xy)^{-1})

Related to Order of Group Elements in Abelian and Non-Abelian Groups

1. What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation (usually denoted by + or *) that follows the commutative property, meaning the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result. In simpler terms, it means that a + b = b + a for any elements a and b in the group.

2. What is a non-Abelian group?

A non-Abelian group is a group in which the elements do not follow the commutative property. This means that the order in which the elements are combined does affect the result. In other words, a + b may not be equal to b + a for certain elements a and b in the group.

3. What is the significance of the order of group elements in Abelian and non-Abelian groups?

The order of group elements refers to the number of times an element needs to be combined with itself to get the identity element (usually denoted by 0 or 1). In Abelian groups, the order of elements does not affect the final result, whereas in non-Abelian groups, it can significantly impact the outcome of the operation.

4. How do you determine the order of group elements in Abelian and non-Abelian groups?

The order of group elements can be determined by repeatedly combining the element with itself until the identity element is obtained. In Abelian groups, this process will always result in the same order, regardless of the starting element. In non-Abelian groups, the order may vary depending on the starting element.

5. What are some real-life examples of Abelian and non-Abelian groups?

Abelian groups can be found in many mathematical concepts, such as addition and multiplication of numbers. They can also be seen in the symmetry of geometric shapes, such as squares and circles. Non-Abelian groups can be seen in rotations of three-dimensional objects, such as a Rubik's cube, where the order in which rotations are performed will impact the final outcome.