Orbital motion electron (quantum)

In summary, the excited sodium atoms emit two closely spaced spectrum lines with wavelengths 588.995 nm and 589.592 nm. The difference in energy between the two upper energy levels (n=3, l=1) is not simply caused by the difference in wavelength. It is also affected by the electrons' spin magnetic moment, which can be oriented parallel or antiparallel to the internal magnetic field associated with their orbital motion. To find the magnitude of this internal magnetic field, it is necessary to determine the spin magnetic moment and use the formula B=E/μ. There is no external magnetic field in this scenario.
hvthvt

Homework Statement

Excited sodium atoms emit two closely spaced spectrum lines called the sodium doublet with wavelengths 588.995 nm and 589.592 nm. (a) What is the difference in energy between the two upper energy levels (n=3 l=1)? (b) This energy difference occurs because the electrons spin magnetic moment can be oriented either parallel or antiparallel to the internal magnetic field associated with the electron's orbital motion. Use your result in (a) to find the magnitude of this internal magnetic field

Homework Equations

E=hf=hc/λ

Orbital motion: =−(e*L)/2m (Is the e in this formula 1.602*10^-19?)

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I think the energy difference is simply caused by the difference in wavelength: which is 0.597 nm. E=hc/λ gives E=3.3*10-16 J. Is this correct?
However, for the second part (b), I don't really know how to tackle the problem.
E=μ(orb)*B
So B=E/μ i guess. To know what μ is, first I should determine L: which is (√(l(l+1)))*h/2π
Can anybody tell me if I'm working in the right way?
L=1.49*10^-34
so μ=-1.31*10-23?
Giving B=2.5*107
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I see they ask INTERNAL magnetic field. Now it just crossed my mind that I remember something as
Btotal=Bint+Bext
Is this true? What should I do with it? Does that mean that Bint is just the half of Btotal?

First, the energy difference is not right.
If E1=hc/λ1 and E2=hc/λ2, the difference E1-E2 is NOT hc/Δλ.

Then they are talking about the magnetic moment associated with the electron's spin, aren't they?
What is the spin magnetic moment? It is not calculated by using the orbital quantum number.

And there is no external field. "Internal" here means produced by the orbital motion of electrons in the atom.

Related to Orbital motion electron (quantum)

1. What is orbital motion electron?

Orbital motion electron, also known as quantum orbital, refers to the path or trajectory that an electron follows around the nucleus of an atom. It is a representation of the electron's energy state and probability of being in a particular location at a given time.

2. How does orbital motion electron relate to quantum mechanics?

Orbital motion electron is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of electrons in terms of their wave-like properties, rather than as discrete particles following a classical trajectory.

3. What determines the shape of an electron's orbital?

The shape of an electron's orbital is determined by its energy level, which is represented by a quantum number. The higher the energy level, the more complex the shape of the orbital. Other factors such as the number of electrons in an atom and the presence of other atoms or molecules can also influence the shape of an electron's orbital.

4. How does the concept of orbital motion electron explain the periodic table?

The periodic table is organized based on the electron configurations of atoms, which are determined by their orbital motion electrons. The number of electrons in an atom's outermost orbital determines its chemical properties and how it interacts with other atoms. The periodic table reflects this by grouping elements with similar electron configurations and chemical properties together.

5. Can an electron's orbital motion be observed?

No, the orbital motion of an electron cannot be directly observed. This is because the concept of an electron following a specific path around the nucleus is an oversimplification. In reality, electrons exist in a probability cloud, and their exact location and trajectory cannot be determined at any given moment. However, scientists can use mathematical models and experiments to make predictions about the behavior of electrons in atoms.