Orbit that does not need maneuvering

In summary, the conversation discusses a textbook problem about designing an orbit for a new satellite in an elliptical orbit at 700 km altitude. The question is whether it is possible to design an orbit without the need for maneuvers to maintain it, taking into consideration secular J2 perturbations and the effects of Ω and ω. The homework equations and attempted solution are provided, but the solution does not fully answer the question. The next question is whether another altitude is feasible if it cannot be done at 700 km.)
Imagin_e
Hi!

This is a textbook problem that I need help with (I want to practice as much as I can before the exams) and I hope that there is someone who can guide me. The question is:
You’re doing a first-order analysis on a new satellite in an elliptical (e = 0.2) orbit at 700 km altitude. Can you design the orbit so no maneuvers are necessary to maintain it? Hint: consider secular J2 perturbations only – can the effects of Ω counteract with ω? If it can’t be done at 700 km, is another altitude feasible?

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the following equations (for J2 perturbations) :
upload_2016-10-16_21-36-42.png

And for p and n:
upload_2016-10-16_21-36-36.png

I inserted n and p into the first two equations and got:

upload_2016-10-16_21-37-26.png

I assumed that they were all constant, so I ended up with:
upload_2016-10-16_21-39-17.png
upload_2016-10-16_21-39-31.png

And this gave me of i1 = 90° and i2=63°. If we have these inclinations then there is no need for maneuvering. And now for the next question:

The next question to answer is can the effects of Ω counteract with ω? If it can’t be done at 700 km, is another altitude feasible? I have no idea how to answer this question.

As you can see I may be completely lost. I don't see my solution feasible since it doesn't actually answer the question about the no maneuvering bit. Anyone that can help me? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone that can help? : (

Related to Orbit that does not need maneuvering

1. What is an orbit that does not need maneuvering?

An orbit that does not need maneuvering is a type of orbit in which the spacecraft or satellite can remain in orbit without any additional propulsion or adjustments. This is achieved by carefully calculating the trajectory and velocity of the orbit to maintain a stable path around a celestial body.

2. How is this type of orbit achieved?

To achieve an orbit that does not need maneuvering, precise calculations and planning are required. The spacecraft or satellite must be launched with the correct trajectory and velocity to maintain its orbit without the need for additional maneuvers. This is often done through computer simulations and precise mathematical calculations.

3. What are the benefits of an orbit that does not need maneuvering?

The main benefit of this type of orbit is that it requires less fuel and resources to maintain, as there is no need for frequent adjustments or maneuvers. This can save time and money for space missions and allow for longer periods of time in orbit.

4. Are there any downsides to this type of orbit?

One potential downside is that if there are any unexpected changes in the orbit, such as gravitational perturbations from other objects, the spacecraft or satellite may not be able to correct its course and could potentially drift out of orbit.

5. Can any type of spacecraft or satellite use an orbit that does not need maneuvering?

Not all spacecraft or satellites are suitable for this type of orbit. It requires careful planning and precise calculations, and some missions may require frequent adjustments or maneuvers, making this type of orbit unsuitable. However, for certain types of missions, such as long-term observation or communication, an orbit that does not need maneuvering may be the most efficient option.