Orangutan & Dog Bonding: Unraveling the Mystery

• Thread starter OldgitTom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, in this conversation, a delightful video of an orangutan playing with a dog and an elephant is discussed. The participants wonder how the orangutan learned to play and why it plays with a different species. It is suggested that the orangutan's social behavior may have been influenced by its upbringing in captivity. The potential survival benefits of play are also discussed and a source on the topic is recommended for further exploration.
OldgitTom
This delightful video shows an orangutan playing with a dog, not to mention an elephant.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/the-orangutan-and-the-hound/1234581161

I know very little about animal behavior, so maybe someone knows? As far as I’ve read, orangs are solitary animals. In the wild, even males & females keep apart for most of the time. So how does this animal know how to play? Or why does it play, & with a different species, even?

Would it be from some orang sub-species that normally lives in groups? A Hollywood animal actor? Could raising in captivity so modify behavior? Any ideas? BP

Biology news on Phys.org
I couldn't get it to load, which is a shame. I really wanted to see it.

Found it on Youtube

I can see where it may be the way Surya was raised. Like other orang's in captivity, it has learned to accept other species. I think its adorable, always great to have a BFF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypatia,
thanks; obviously raising in an unnatural enviro had its effects. But did you have any ideas about where such sociability/play potentials came from in a species noted for solitary ways? Pack/group immature animals play, to learn life skills. Maybe orangs play with mom? But the immense ground-level fun Bonobzo seemed to be having impressed me. What's the survival pay-off? Maybe he'll get miserable & curmugeonly with middle-age?

Hypatia,
this source (Groos) was sent to me & seems to have a large part of the answer.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/200901/the-value-play-iv-play-is-nature-s-way-teaching-us-new-skills http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/200901/the-value-play-iv-play-is-nature-s-way-teaching-us-new-skills

If you want to pursue the genetics trail in an adventurous safari, try Perry Marshall.

http://cosmicfingerprints.com/iidb.htm

You might find a connect between DNA/instincts & play/behavior - how they might interact. Good luck, OGT

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Orangutan & Dog Bonding: Unraveling the Mystery

1. What is the reason behind orangutan and dog bonding?

The reason behind orangutan and dog bonding is still a mystery and is currently being studied by scientists. It is believed that both species have a high level of social intelligence, which allows them to form strong bonds with other animals.

2. Is the bonding between orangutans and dogs beneficial for both species?

Yes, the bonding between orangutans and dogs can be beneficial for both species. Orangutans can learn important social and survival skills from dogs, while dogs can provide companionship and protection for orangutans.

3. Do all orangutans and dogs have the potential to form bonds with each other?

It is not yet known if all orangutans and dogs have the potential to form bonds with each other. Some scientists believe that certain individual personalities and experiences may play a role in the bonding process.

4. How do orangutans and dogs communicate with each other?

Orangutans and dogs communicate with each other through body language, vocalizations, and scent marking. They may also use facial expressions and gestures to convey their intentions and emotions.

5. Can the bonding between orangutans and dogs be replicated in captivity?

Yes, the bonding between orangutans and dogs has been successfully replicated in captivity. However, it is important to carefully select and introduce the animals to ensure a successful and healthy bond.