Optimizing Boat Hull Shape for Maximum Speed: A Calculus of Variations Approach

In summary, trying to find the best hull shape to achieve maximum speed in water is a difficult calculus of variations problem.
Bafsemann
Was wondering if it was possible to derive the best possible shape of a boat hull to achieve maximum speed? As it is the equation on how to calculate the speed of a sphere moving in water... or else I am just totally wrong and you can bluntly ignore this post :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an extremely difficult problem. Since you are trying to find the shape- i.e. a function- that maximizes a property it is a "Calculus of Variations" problem.

Bafsemann said:
Was wondering if it was possible to derive the best possible shape of a boat hull to achieve maximum speed? As it is the equation on how to calculate the speed of a sphere moving in water... or else I am just totally wrong and you can bluntly ignore this post :-p

Guys, I'm just interested in this Ok; know very little about the Calculus of variation. Could someone at least formulate the problem? Let me begin with a conceptual approach:

Assume we have the shape of the boat in the form of a surface above the x-y plane. Now it seems to me that this surface can be a very nicely behaved function. The speed of the boat, I'll just guess will be a function of frictional forces which in turn are dependent on the shape of the surface as well as the boundary which I'll call [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Now, let me take a leap of faith:

We wish to minimize the following integral which sums up all the frictional forces on the hull:

[tex]I=\int\int_{\Omega} G[x,y,f(x,y),f_x,f_y]ds[/tex]

Where G is some functional relationship of these forces to the shape of the hull (and I suppose it's slopes as well) and our objective is to find f(x,y) which minimizes the integral (constrained by realistic limits of course, such as manufacturing ones).

I know for the simple case of a function of a single variable f(x), wishing to minimize the integral:

[tex]I=\int_a^b F(x,y,y')dx[/tex]

we can do some calculus and come up with Euler's equation which must be satisfied:

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}=0[/tex]

I suppose there is an equivalent one for a double integral? How about for just any old integral of that form say for:

[tex]I=\int_0^1\int_0^1 (f+f_x+f_y)dxdy[/tex]

How would I find the function f(x,y) which minimizes (or maximized) this integral)? Am I getting off-subject?

Related to Optimizing Boat Hull Shape for Maximum Speed: A Calculus of Variations Approach

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation and how is it used in science?

The Bernoulli Equation, named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. It is commonly used in science to analyze fluid flow, such as in aerodynamics or hydraulics.

2. How do you derive the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation can be derived from the laws of conservation of energy and mass. It states that the sum of the static pressure, dynamic pressure, and potential energy per unit volume is constant along a streamline, or a path in a fluid where the velocity is constant.

3. Can the Bernoulli Equation be applied to all fluids?

The Bernoulli Equation can be applied to ideal fluids, which are assumed to be inviscid (no internal friction) and incompressible (constant density). However, it can also provide a good approximation for real fluids under certain conditions, such as low speeds and incompressible flow.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation has many practical applications, including determining the lift force on an airplane wing, calculating water flow rates in pipes, and measuring the speed of a fluid in a Venturi meter. It is also used in industries such as aviation, plumbing, and hydraulic engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the Bernoulli Equation?

While the Bernoulli Equation is a useful tool in fluid mechanics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid flow is steady, inviscid, and incompressible, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account external forces, such as friction or gravity, which may affect the fluid flow. Therefore, it should be used with caution and verified through other methods in practical applications.