Optimizing Beam Strength: Finding the Dimensions for Maximum Performance

In summary, the problem involves finding the dimensions of a rectangular beam cut from a cylindrical log with a given diameter, in order to maximize its strength. The strength is jointly proportional to the beam's width and the square of its depth. By visualizing the cross section of the tree, it can be seen that the depth refers to the height of the beam, and the length of the beam's diagonal will be the radius of the log. This provides a second relationship between the width and height of the beam, which can be used to eliminate one variable and solve for the optimal dimensions.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

A rectangular beam is cut out of a cylindrical log with diameter 30cm. Given that the strength of a beam is jointly proportional to its width and the square of its depth, find the dimensions of the beam with maximum strength.

Homework Equations

implicit differentation

The Attempt at a Solution

Frankly, I do not know where to start with this question. I think it's the strength reference that threw me off from this. From what I can tell, S is equal to w+d^2 (where S is strength, w is width and d is depth). Next I need to find another relation to end up with one variable to successfully use the Algorithm for Extreme Values and then find the dimensions. I know I will have to bring the diameter of the log into the problem here somehow, but I am not sure how to do this. If anyone could be of help here it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's depth?
(the length of the rod?)

If it's length, then I think you can get infinite strength (looks somewhat wrong).

It's w.d^2 (not w+d^2) btw as it says "and".

If depth is the base height .. then this is a simple problem. You are given a,b, and a^2+b^2 = diameter^2

The depth is the height of the beam, which will be something less than the diameter of the log from which the beam is cut. The way to visualize this is by drawing a circle that represents a cross section of the tree. Two vertical cuts and two horizontal cuts will produce a beam with a rectangular cross section.

What this problem is saying is that, because gravity works vertically, it's better to have a tall beam than a wide beam (both beams are the same length).

The length of the beam, which would be the length of the section of tree from which the beam is cut, doesn't enter into this problem.

I have figured that depth would be the height, and that then gives me 2 variables I have to work with. What I am still lost on is what the formulas are for this question; I know one will be the strength formula and the other a relationship used to cancel out one of the variables. I just seem to be stuck on finding the other relationship.

Unless you waste a lot of wood milling the beam, the length of the beam's diagonal will be the radius of the log. That should give you another relationship between width and height.

Related to Optimizing Beam Strength: Finding the Dimensions for Maximum Performance

What is the maximum strength of a beam?

The maximum strength of a beam refers to the maximum load or weight that a beam can withstand without breaking or failing. It is an important consideration in structural engineering and construction projects.

How is the maximum strength of a beam calculated?

The maximum strength of a beam is typically calculated using mathematical equations and principles, taking into account factors such as the beam's material, dimensions, and support conditions. It can also be determined through physical testing and experimentation.

What factors affect the maximum strength of a beam?

The maximum strength of a beam can be influenced by several factors, including the material used, the shape and size of the beam, the type of load it is subjected to, and the support conditions. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to external forces can also affect the beam's strength.

How does the maximum strength of a beam compare to its yield strength?

The maximum strength of a beam is generally higher than its yield strength, which refers to the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it permanently deforms. The yield strength is an important consideration in determining the safety and durability of a beam, as it indicates the point at which the beam may begin to fail under load.

Can the maximum strength of a beam be increased?

Yes, the maximum strength of a beam can be increased through various techniques such as using stronger or more resilient materials, altering the beam's shape or dimensions, or providing additional support or reinforcement. However, it is important to consider all factors and limitations before attempting to increase the maximum strength of a beam to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.