Optimisation Question [Cylinder]

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a right circular cylinder can with a volume of 130 cm3 and the need to minimize its total surface area. The equations for the volume and surface area of a cylinder are provided and the conversation goes on to discuss the confusion and need for help in optimizing the surface area with two variables, r and h. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use the method of Lagrange Multipliers to solve for the optimal values of r and h that will minimize the surface area.
recoil33
Q. You have been asked to design a can shaped like a right circular cylinder with height h and radius r. Given that the can must hold exactly 130 cm3, what values of h and r will minimise the total surface area (including the top and bottom faces)?

Volume(Cylinder) = pi(r)2*h
130 = pi(r)2*h

Surface Area(Cylinder) = 2pi(r)*h

Firstly, changing h in the form of r.

h = 130/pi(r)2

therefore:

130 = pi(r)2*(130/pi(r)2)

Now, i should differentiate this.

0 = 2pi(r) * (0*(pi(r)2) - (130*2pi(r)) / ((pi(r)2)2)

I'm a bit confused as of what to do now, I've just finished previous optimisation questions although nothing with a cylinder like this.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
recoil33 said:
Q. You have been asked to design a can shaped like a right circular cylinder with height h and radius r. Given that the can must hold exactly 130 cm3, what values of h and r will minimise the total surface area (including the top and bottom faces)?

Volume(Cylinder) = pi(r)2*h
130 = pi(r)2*h

Surface Area(Cylinder) = 2pi(r)*h

Firstly, changing h in the form of r.

h = 130/pi(r)2

therefore:

130 = pi(r)2*(130/pi(r)2)

Now, i should differentiate this.

0 = 2pi(r) * (0*(pi(r)2) - (130*2pi(r)) / ((pi(r)2)2)

I'm a bit confused as of what to do now, I've just finished previous optimisation questions although nothing with a cylinder like this.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

First of, your area of the cylinder does not take the top and bottom into account.
Can you add those?

Second, it's right to use the volume to find an h expressed in r.
But you need to optimise the area, not the volume.
So you need to insert the expression for h in the area, then take the derivative of the area, and solve it for being equal to zero.

Last edited:
This is a method of Lagrange Multipliers problem...

Related to Optimisation Question [Cylinder]

1. What is optimisation of a cylinder?

The optimisation of a cylinder is the process of finding the best possible solution to a given problem involving a cylinder, such as maximizing its volume or minimizing its surface area. This involves using mathematical and scientific principles to determine the most efficient and effective way to use the cylinder.

2. Why is optimisation of a cylinder important?

Optimisation of a cylinder is important because it allows us to make the most of the resources and materials used in creating a cylinder. By finding the most optimal solution, we can save time, money, and resources while achieving the desired goal.

3. What are some common applications of optimisation in relation to cylinders?

Some common applications of optimisation involving cylinders include designing efficient storage containers, creating optimal pipe systems for fluid flow, and maximizing the performance of engines and turbines.

4. What are the steps involved in optimizing a cylinder?

The steps involved in optimizing a cylinder may vary depending on the specific problem and goal, but generally they include defining the problem, gathering data and relevant information, formulating a mathematical model, solving the model using appropriate techniques, and interpreting and evaluating the results.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to optimizing a cylinder?

Yes, there can be limitations and challenges in optimizing a cylinder, such as the availability of resources, the complexity of the problem, and the accuracy of the data and models used. Additionally, there may be trade-offs to consider, where optimizing one aspect of the cylinder may result in a decrease in another aspect.