Optics: Interference and Phase

In summary, the problem involves two flat slides of glass separated by a thin wire with special coatings on the top and bottom surfaces to reflect no light. The system is illuminated with light of wavelength 534 nm and there are 28 interference minima. The equation used is 2*(thickness) = (number of minima) * (wavelength), taking into account a 180 degree phase shift at one of the surfaces. The final answer is that the 28th minima occurs at a thickness of 7209 nm.
pious&peevish

Homework Statement

Two flat slides of glass are separated at one edge by a thin wire, as shown below. The top surface of the upper slide and the bottom surface of the lower slide have special coatings on them so that they reflect no light. The system is illuminated with light of wavelength 534. nm. Looking down from above you see 28 interference minima.

a) What is the diameter of the wire? Assume that the last minima occurs at the right edge where the wire is placed.

Homework Equations

See below (also see attached image)

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems simple enough at first glance... combining the knowledge that there is a phase inversion with the fact that we're dealing with minima, I used the formula 2*(thickness) = (number of minima) * (wavelength). But I'm not sure how to incorporate the additional information that the coating is non reflective... I know this means the reflected waves emerge 1/2 cycle out of phase. Now I'm just confused...

Attachments

• assignment3_problem12_picture.jpg
    assignment3_problem12_picture.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what they are saying is that you do not consider the non-reflecting surfaces in the problem. The only surfaces to consider in this problem are the bottom surface of the top slide and the top surface of the bottom slide.

Thanks! But when I plugged in the values into the equation 2*(thickness) = (number of minima) * (wavelength), I didn't get the right answer... there must be something I'm still missing, but I don't know what it is.

Hmmm.. Are you remembering that there is a 180 deg phase shift at one of the surfaces, at the second one. Remember if the index of refraction goes from low to a higher value, there is a 180 phase shift as I recall. Hig to a lower is no shift. Maybe this is the difference.

See if you are off by 1/2 wavelength.

OK. So just to confirm, if I wrote that 2*(thickness) = [(number of minima) * (wavelength)] + [(1/2)*(wavelength)], would that be right?

I have not worked the problem but I would think this might be the error. It might be plus or minus 1/2 wavelength.

Hmm... I tried that and it didn't work either. Is there something fundamental I'm not grasping? That's what I'm most worried about now.

deleted

Last edited:
Correction correction correction because of the 180d phase shift, the first dark band will be at
The first minima will be where 2t = 0 w w= wavelength
2nd minima will be when 2t = 1w
3rd minima will be when 2t = 2w
4th minima will be when 2t =3w

so the 28th minima will be when 2t = 27w

w = 534E-9 so I would expect the 28th minima to be where t = 7209 nm

yes-no?

Last edited:
Thanks a ton - that was right!

Related to Optics: Interference and Phase

1. What is the principle behind interference in optics?

The principle behind interference in optics is the superposition of waves. When two or more waves meet, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This can lead to constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. How does the phase difference between two waves affect interference?

The phase difference between two waves determines whether they will interfere constructively or destructively. If the waves are in phase (i.e. their crests and troughs align), they will constructively interfere. If they are out of phase (i.e. their crests and troughs do not align), they will destructively interfere.

3. What is the difference between coherent and incoherent light in terms of interference?

Coherent light is light that has a constant phase relationship between all of its waves. This means that the waves are all in sync and can interfere with each other. Incoherent light, on the other hand, has random phase relationships between its waves, making it unable to produce a predictable interference pattern.

4. How is the intensity of interference fringes related to the phase difference between waves?

The intensity of interference fringes is directly related to the phase difference between waves. When the waves are in phase, the intensity of the fringes will be at a maximum, and when they are out of phase, the intensity will be at a minimum. This relationship is described by the cosine function in the equation for interference.

5. What are some real-world applications of interference and phase in optics?

Interference and phase are important concepts in many applications of optics. Some examples include interferometers used in precision measurements, anti-reflection coatings on lenses, and optical filters for separating different wavelengths of light. These principles are also used in technologies such as holography, optical data storage, and telecommunications.