Optics: distance b/w lens & slide

In summary: You have s and s', so you can calculate f. In summary, to project a 1.7 mm high image onto a screen 8.0 m away and have it appear 559 mm high, a focal length lens of 24.32 mm is needed and the distance between the lens and the slide is 0.024 meters. The magnification of the system is approximately 0.329.
kevnm67

Homework Statement

The picture of a tree on a 35 mm color slide is 1.7 mm high. It is to be projected onto a screen 8.0 m from the slide, and is to appear 559 mm high.
a) What focal length lens (in meters) is needed?
b) What is the distance in meters between the lens and the slide?
c) What is the magnification of the system

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/s +1/s'
m=h'/h = -s'/s

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
h=1.7m
h' = 559 x 10-3m
s' = 8 x 10-3m
s = ?

m = 559m/1.7m = .32882 mm
.329mm = -.008mm/s
s = -24.32 mm = -.024 meters

B) Is this just asking what the focal length is?

C) m= h'/h = .329

Physics news on Phys.org
s = -24.32 mm = -.024 meters
This is the answer for b. (I didn't get the minus sign; the image is inverted so the magnification is negative, but the image is on the other side of the lens from the object so I would call the distance to the image positive.)

Part a is asking for the focal length, f.

Delphi51 said:
This is the answer for b. (I didn't get the minus sign; the image is inverted so the magnification is negative, but the image is on the other side of the lens from the object so I would call the distance to the image positive.)

Part a is asking for the focal length, f.

Your correct, both numbers are positive, but I only solved A. How do you solve B?

You have solved part b! That's your s = .024 meters.
For part a, solve your first formula for f.

/-.024 = -13.7083

I would say that the focal length lens needed is approximately 24.32 mm or 0.024 meters. This can be calculated using the thin lens equation, where 1/f = 1/s + 1/s'. In this case, s' is known to be 8 meters and h and h' can be used to find s. The distance between the lens and the slide would be 24.32 mm or 0.024 meters, which is the same as the focal length of the lens. The magnification of the system is approximately -13.7083, meaning that the image on the screen is inverted and much larger than the actual object on the slide. This can be calculated using the magnification formula, where m=h'/h=-s'/s.

Related to Optics: distance b/w lens & slide

What is the distance between a lens and a slide in optics?

The distance between a lens and a slide in optics is known as the focal length. It is the distance between the center of the lens and the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens.

How does the distance between a lens and a slide affect the image formed?

The distance between the lens and the slide determines the size of the image formed. If the distance is shorter, the image will appear larger, and if the distance is longer, the image will appear smaller.

What is the relationship between the distance between a lens and a slide and the magnification of the image?

The distance between the lens and the slide is directly proportional to the magnification of the image. This means that as the distance increases, the magnification also increases.

How does the distance between a lens and a slide affect the clarity of the image?

The distance between the lens and the slide also affects the clarity of the image. If the distance is too short or too long, the image may appear blurry or distorted. The ideal distance for clear imaging depends on the type of lens and the object being viewed.

What are some common methods for adjusting the distance between a lens and a slide?

In optics, the distance between the lens and slide can be adjusted by physically moving the lens or the slide, using a focusing knob, or changing the position of the light source. Some microscopes also have a fine adjustment knob for more precise distance adjustments.