Optics: deriving Nodal and Principal Points for a thick lens

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving the Nodal and Principle points distance equations for thick lenses. The equations can be found at the given website, and the person asking for help has no clue how to approach the problem but is willing to make an attempt if given a starter hint. They mention using matrix method or general equations for thick lenses and appreciate any help that can be provided. Eventually, they were able to solve the problem.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have to derive the Nodal and Principle points distance equations.

Homework Equations

Equations can be found here

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ThickLensFormula.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about how to approach this problem. If there's any starter hint that you can give me, that would be great, then I can maybe derive it myself. Just I don't know how to start.
We can use matrix method or general equations for thick lens etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

I have to derive the Nodal and Principle points distance equations.

Homework Equations

Equations can be found here

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ThickLensFormula.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about how to approach this problem. If there's any starter hint that you can give me, that would be great, then I can maybe derive it myself. Just I don't know how to start.
We can use matrix method or general equations for thick lens etc.

Thanks
Please make an attempt. It is difficult to help you otherwise. You could start by writing down whatever you know about thick lenses, principal points and nodal points (in equation form, if possible).

Likes Arman777
Well I manage to do it,thanks

Related to Optics: deriving Nodal and Principal Points for a thick lens

1. What is the purpose of deriving nodal and principal points for a thick lens?

The nodal and principal points are important parameters in the analysis of a thick lens. They help determine the location and size of the image formed by the lens, and also aid in calculating the magnification of the image.

2. How are nodal and principal points different from each other?

The nodal points are the points where the incident and emergent rays intersect on the optical axis, while the principal points are the points where the principal planes intersect the optical axis. The nodal points are used to determine the location of the image, while the principal points help in calculating the magnification.

3. What is the process for deriving nodal and principal points for a thick lens?

The process involves drawing ray diagrams for the incident and emergent rays, and then using the properties of similar triangles to calculate the positions of the nodal and principal points. This is typically done by considering the lens as two thin lenses separated by a distance equal to the thickness of the thick lens.

4. Are the nodal and principal points always located at the same positions for a thick lens?

No, the positions of the nodal and principal points can vary depending on the thickness and curvature of the lens. In general, the nodal points are closer to the lens than the principal points, but this is not always the case.

5. How do the nodal and principal points affect the overall performance of a thick lens?

The nodal and principal points play a crucial role in determining the imaging properties of a thick lens. They help in calculating the size and location of the image formed by the lens, and also affect the magnification and aberrations of the image. Therefore, accurate derivation of these points is important for optimizing the performance of the lens.