Optics, calculating image distance,.given magnification and focal length

In summary, to calculate the object and image distances for an image obtained with a converging lens that is upright and 3 times the length of the object, you can use the lens equation (1/object + 1/image = 1/focal length) and the magnification formula (M = ob/im). However, you will need to know if the image is real or virtual to solve the problem correctly.
faria123

Homework Statement

The image obtained with a converging lens is upright and 3x the length of the object. The focal length of the lens is 20cm. Calculate the object and image distances

Homework Equations

I have absolutely no idea how to even start this question

The Attempt at a Solution

1/object + 1/image = 1/focal (lens equation )
1/ob + 1/im= 1/20

M = ob/im ( magnification formula)
3= ob/im

I tried solving for each variable but it wasnt working...

Physics news on Phys.org
faria123 said:

Homework Statement

The image obtained with a converging lens is upright and 3x the length of the object. The focal length of the lens is 20cm. Calculate the object and image distances

Homework Equations

I have absolutely no idea how to even start this question

The Attempt at a Solution

1/object + 1/image = 1/focal (lens equation )
1/ob + 1/im= 1/20

M = ob/im ( magnification formula)
3= ob/im

I tried solving for each variable but it wasnt working...

Hi Faria, welcome to PF.

The magnification formula is wrong, look it after. And then show your work in detail.

Is the image real or virtual if the image is upright?

ehild

Related to Optics, calculating image distance,.given magnification and focal length

1. How do I calculate image distance?

To calculate image distance in optics, you can use the formula: di = do x m, where di is the image distance, do is the object distance, and m is the magnification.

2. What is the relationship between image distance and focal length?

The image distance is directly proportional to the focal length, meaning that as the focal length increases, the image distance also increases.

3. Can I calculate image distance without knowing the magnification?

Yes, you can calculate the image distance without knowing the magnification by using the formula: di = (do x f) / (do - f), where f is the focal length.

4. How does magnification affect the image distance?

Magnification plays a significant role in determining the image distance. A higher magnification will result in a larger image distance, while a lower magnification will result in a smaller image distance.

5. What is the difference between real and virtual images?

Real images are formed when light rays converge and can be projected onto a screen, whereas virtual images are formed when light rays appear to diverge and cannot be projected onto a screen. Real images have a positive image distance, while virtual images have a negative image distance.