Optical Spectra of Helium & Other Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses which elements may have optical spectra similar to a helium atom. The choices are Cadmium, Lithium, Technetium, Titanium, Platinum, Strontium, Calcium, and Francium. The participants mention that they initially thought elements with a full level of valence electrons, such as Strontium and Calcium, would have similar spectra, but this was incorrect. They also consider the possibility of including s1 atoms with all other orbitals filled.
w3390

Homework Statement

The following elements should have optical spectra similar to either a hydrogen atom or a helium atom. Indicate which of the following elements should have optical spectra similar to a helium atom. (Select all that apply.)

The choices are: Cadmium, Lithium, Technetium, Titanium, Platinum, Strontium, Calcium, and Francium.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since helium has a full level of valence electrons, it would have similar optical spectra as other elements with their highest orbitals completely filled. So I went with Strontium and Calcium, but this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say lithium because it has only one more electron than helium, but I'm not too sure about spectra problems.

I don't like the question. My guess would be to go for s2 atoms with all other orbitals filled.

Somehow I don't think this approach will survive when comparing real spectra.

--
methods

Ya, that's what I thought too, so I chose Strontium and Calcium but I am wrong. Do you think I should include 1s atoms as well that have all other orbitals filled? I haven't yet tried the combination: Lithium, Calcium, Strontium, and Francium. This may be it, but I am hesitant because I only have one chance left on my assignment.

s1 sounds more hydrogenish :wink:

--

Related to Optical Spectra of Helium & Other Elements

1. What is an optical spectrum?

An optical spectrum is a range of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. This includes the colors of the rainbow, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest wavelength.

2. How is an optical spectrum produced?

An optical spectrum is produced when a source of light, such as a heated gas or a hot solid, emits electromagnetic radiation in the visible range. The emitted light is then separated into its component wavelengths using a device called a spectrometer.

3. What is the significance of studying the optical spectra of helium and other elements?

Studying the optical spectra of elements allows scientists to understand the atomic structure and energy levels of those elements. This information can be used to identify and characterize different elements, as well as to study their behavior in different environments.

4. How do the optical spectra of helium and other elements differ?

The optical spectra of different elements are unique and can be distinguished by the wavelengths and intensities of the spectral lines. Helium, for example, has a simple spectrum with only a few distinct lines, while more complex elements may have hundreds or thousands of lines.

5. What practical applications does the study of optical spectra have?

The study of optical spectra has many practical applications, including identifying elements in astronomical objects, analyzing the composition of materials, and developing technologies such as lasers and LED lights. It also provides important insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of atoms and molecules.