Optical eyepieces for star observations

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hyperion modular eyepiece adapter and its advantages compared to standard eyepieces. The adapter allows for the use of 2" eyepieces on telescopes with a 1.25" focuser and has a variable focal length. The main advantages of the Hyperion eyepieces are a wider field of view and better optical quality, with less aberrations such as chromatic aberration and ghost images. The conversation also includes a discussion of using the adapter with a webcam for astrophotography and observations of celestial objects such as Betelgeuse and the moon.
bruha
Hello, can I ask you if you have some experience with hyperion modular eyepiece adapter? I would like to know what is its main advantages compare to standard eyepiece ( as it is about ten times more expensive..)

thank ou...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Tomas,

bruha said:
hyperion modular eyepiece adapter

is this what you are talking about ? ...

baader_hyperion-aspheric_eyepiece_-_31mm_hyp-31_2454631.jpg
the left part is a Hyperion Eyepiece with a 2" barrel
the right part is an adaptor that screws into the end of the eyepiece to reduce the 2" barrel down to a 1.25" barrel
this is for telescopes that don't have a 2" eyepiece holder

Is that what you wanted to know ?

Dave

Attachments

• baader_hyperion-aspheric_eyepiece_-_31mm_hyp-31_2454631.jpg
    baader_hyperion-aspheric_eyepiece_-_31mm_hyp-31_2454631.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 690
Hi , yes it is exactly what I am talking about... I have just 1,25" eyep. holder. Do you have some experience with this one,...?

thank you

Hi bruha. Can you elaborate on what you're asking? Do you currently have an eyepiece that you want to use with an adapter, are you wanting to buy an eyepiece with adapter to use in your 1.25" focuser, or something else?

bruha said:
Hello, can I ask you if you have some experience with hyperion modular eyepiece adapter?
Yes, I have a few of these.
bruha said:
I would like to know what is its main advantages compare to standard eyepiece ( as it is about ten times more expensive..)
What do you consider to be a "standard eyepiece"? Are you referring to a cheap Plössl here?

Hi ,
yes I plan to buy these eyepiece with adapter as I have just 1,25" telescope (or thinkink about it) but concerning high price I would like to know if it is really importantly advantageous compared standard eyepiece ?...

Thank you,...

I cannot say anything about the Hyperion Aspheric eyepiece, but I do have Hyperion Zoom Mark IV, and I like it a lot..

There are also 68° modular eyepieces in Baader hyperion series. And as far as I know, all of them (except 24mm) can be adapted to 2" or 1.25" focuser. The focal length should be variable by removing first group of lens or by adding the extensions - that's why it is called modular. Maybe you want to check more about them at this link...

By standard eyepiece, you mean that it is not modular?

Thank you, for answer and link... Yes I have just not modular simple eyepiece 20,12, 6, 2,5 mm (telescope 130 *600 mm) . I will check it...

ANd yes I mean for example Plössl ones -my question in fact was how much and by which way I improve quality of image (what I can see) by using Hyperion compare these standard cheap ones

bruha said:
Hyperion compare these standard cheap ones

which standard cheap ones ?
you haven't given any specific brand name examples

Plossl is a type of eyepiece, not a brand, many companies make plossl's along with other types

bruha said:
I mean for example Plössl ones -my question in fact was how much and by which way I improve quality of image (what I can see) by using Hyperion compare these standard cheap ones
The two major differences will be the apparent field of view and optical aberrations.

More expensive eyepieces, like the Hyperions, are designed using multiple lens groups to give a much wider field of view. The Hyperions have a field of view of ##{68}^{\circ}## while a Plössl is around ##{50}^{\circ}##.

Cheaper eyepieces often have inferior optics which cause issues like chromatic aberration, ghost images, and even distortion of the image.

The optical issues are often most noticeable when observing bright objects like the moon, planets, or stars.

Likes lomidrevo
Hi I made some shots by webcamera eyepiece adapter of belelgeuse (right) and other star (left) -I am not sure which one probably from Gemini constellation.It seems me little strange that betelgeuse looks "cooler-etc high temperature" although it is red giant with low temperature...
betelgeuse.png

Attachments

• betelgeuse.png
    betelgeuse.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 503
  • betelgeuse.png
    betelgeuse.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 594
bruha said:
It seems me little strange that betelgeuse looks "cooler-etc high temperature" although it is red giant with low temperature...

probably just a result of poor colour rendering by the webcam

I i see, thanks, I will look on it..

Likes davenn
HI and here is some moon 1) i think up is m. serenatis and posidenius cr.) 2) I am not sure:wink:

Attachments

• moon1..jpg
    moon1..jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 551
  • moon3..jpg
    moon3..jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 564
bruha said:
HI and here is some moon 1) i think up is m. serenatis and posidenius cr.) 2) I am not sure:wink:
awesome effort
Was that with the web cam ?

Related to Optical eyepieces for star observations

1. What are optical eyepieces and how do they work?

Optical eyepieces, also known as telescope eyepieces, are the small lenses that you look through to view objects in the night sky. They work by magnifying the image formed by the telescope's primary lens or mirror, allowing you to see the object in greater detail.

2. What is the difference between different types of optical eyepieces?

There are several types of optical eyepieces, including Plossl, Kellner, and Erfle. The main difference between them is the design of the lenses, which affects the field of view, magnification, and image quality. Plossl eyepieces are generally considered to be the best all-around choice for most observers.

3. How do I choose the right eyepiece for star observations?

The right eyepiece for star observations depends on several factors, including the focal length of your telescope, the object you want to observe, and personal preference. Generally, a lower magnification eyepiece (with a larger number on the lens) is better for viewing larger, dimmer objects like nebulae, while a higher magnification eyepiece is better for viewing smaller, brighter objects like planets.

4. How do I care for and maintain my optical eyepieces?

To care for and maintain your optical eyepieces, it is important to keep them clean and free of dust and debris. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the lenses and avoid touching them with your fingers. Store them in a protective case when not in use and avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or moisture.

5. Can I use my eyepieces for both daytime and nighttime observations?

While some eyepieces may be suitable for both daytime and nighttime observations, it is generally not recommended. Daytime viewing requires different types of eyepieces, such as solar filters, and the high magnification of nighttime eyepieces can potentially damage your eyes if used during the day. It is best to have separate eyepieces for these different viewing purposes.