Operators satisfying abstract commutation relation; then finding an eigenvalue.

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutation relation between operators P and Q, and how it relates to finding the eigenvalue of P. It is determined that Qψ is also an eigenfunction of P with an eigenvalue of κ, and this is shown by the substitution of known values in the equation PQψ = QPψ - Qψ. The significance of the commutation relation in finding the eigenvalue is still unclear.
arp777
So, my problem statement is:

Suppose that two operators P and Q satisfy the commutation relation [Q,P] = Q .
Suppose that ψ is an eigenfunction of the operator P with eigenvalue p. Show that Qψ is also an eigenfunction of P, and find its eigenvalue.

This shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm wrestling with this one. I can't seem to figure out the significance of the commutation relation in the prompt, or whether or not it's saying anything particularly relevant to finding the eigenvalue of P..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
List your knowns:

QP-PQ=Q

Pψ=pψ

Now PQψ=?

Following my knowns, I'm tempted to say that:

PQ = QP - Q ... based on the commutation relation.

Which would mean that PQψ = QPψ - Qψ

Showing you what I worked out before posting might help you understand where my confusion's coming from. I started with:

relation: [Q,P] = Q

which means, QPψ - PQψ = Q(pψ) - [Q(pψ) - Qψ] = Qψ

So, how do I show that Qψ is also an eigenfunction? What needs to be true?

Thanks again.

I hope you aren't slipping a homework problem in here :smile:

What you're trying to show is that: PQψ = κQψ; that is, Qψ is an eigenfunction of P with eigenvalue κ.

You got as far as PQψ = QPψ - Qψ; from there if you substitute the known value of Pψ you'll end up with your answer pretty quickly.

Hahah, well, it is a homework problem! But I get better help on here than I do in the study center without being given the answer in either place. (Believe me, I'm IN the study center right now). Kinda sad, huh!? Thanks for the help, ya'll.

Related to Operators satisfying abstract commutation relation; then finding an eigenvalue.

What is an abstract commutation relation?

An abstract commutation relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two operators. It states that the operators do not commute, meaning their order matters when they are applied to a mathematical expression.

What does it mean for operators to satisfy an abstract commutation relation?

For operators to satisfy an abstract commutation relation, they must follow the rules of the relation. This means that the operators do not commute and their order matters when they are applied to a mathematical expression.

How can I find the eigenvalue of operators satisfying an abstract commutation relation?

Finding the eigenvalue of operators satisfying an abstract commutation relation involves solving the corresponding eigenvalue equation. This can usually be done using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or matrix manipulation.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when finding eigenvalues of operators satisfying an abstract commutation relation?

Yes, there may be limitations or restrictions when finding eigenvalues of operators satisfying an abstract commutation relation. These can include the size or complexity of the operators, as well as the mathematical techniques available for solving the eigenvalue equation.

What are some practical applications of operators satisfying abstract commutation relations?

Operators satisfying abstract commutation relations have many practical applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to describe the behavior of physical systems and can be applied to solve various problems in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and other fields.