Operator with strictly positive eigenvalues

In summary, the student is trying to find an equation for the eigenvalue of a hermitian matrix. They are considering an eigenvector with an eigenvalue of 1/normsq(psi). They are trying to solve for the eigenvalue of the hermitian matrix using the spectral equation, but they are not able to find a number greater than 0 that psi hides.
physicus

Homework Statement

Consider a Hilbert space with a (not necessarily orthogonal) basis [tex]\{f_i\}[/tex] Show that [tex]G=\sum_i |f_i\rangle\langle f_i|[/tex] has strictly positive eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]G=\sum_i |f_i\rangle\langle f_i|[/tex] is hermitian. Therefore, the eigenvalues are real and the Hilbert space has an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors of G. However, a general hermitian matrix does not need to be positive definite. Therefore, I need another approach.

I consider an eigenvector [tex]|a\rangle = \sum_i a_i |f_i\rangle[/tex] with [tex]G|a\rangle = \lambda|a\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \lambda\sum_j a_j |f_j\rangle = \lambda |a\rangle = G |a\rangle = \sum_{ij}a_i |f_j\rangle\langle f_j|f_i\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \lambda = \frac{1}{a_j}\sum_{i}a_i \langle f_j|f_i\rangle[/tex]
Unfortunately, I cannot conclude [tex]\lambda>0[/tex] from that.

Can anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I don't know how to relate G² and G.

[tex]G^2=\sum_{ij}|f_i\rangle\langle f_i|f_j\rangle\langle f_j|[/tex]
I would need an expression for [tex]\langle f_i|f_j\rangle[/tex] But since the basis set is not orthonormal I don't see what this could be.

Alright. Different approach. Let psi be an eigenvector of G with eigenvalue a. Then from the spectral equation you have

a=1/normsq(psi) * <psi|G|psi> = 1/normsq(psi) * sum (i) <psi|f_i><f_i|psi> = ...

Can you now show the dots hide a number > 0 ?

[tex]\ldots = \frac{1}{||\,|\psi\rangle||^2} \sum_i |\langle \psi | f_i\rangle|^2[/tex]

Since psi ist not the zero vector (as it is an eigenvector) its overlap with at least one of the basis vectors is non-zero. Therefore, the sum of squares is strictly greater than 0.

Thank you very much.

Related to Operator with strictly positive eigenvalues

1. What does it mean for an operator to have strictly positive eigenvalues?

An operator with strictly positive eigenvalues means that all of its eigenvalues (the special set of numbers associated with the operator) are positive. This indicates that the operator is a positive operator, meaning it maps any vector to a vector with the same direction but possibly a different magnitude.

2. How do you determine if an operator has strictly positive eigenvalues?

To determine if an operator has strictly positive eigenvalues, you can find the eigenvalues of the operator and check if all of them are positive. This can be done by solving the characteristic equation of the operator or by using numerical methods such as matrix diagonalization or the power method.

3. What are the applications of operators with strictly positive eigenvalues?

Operators with strictly positive eigenvalues have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model systems that involve positive quantities or processes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits.

4. Can an operator have both positive and negative eigenvalues?

Yes, an operator can have both positive and negative eigenvalues. This indicates that the operator has both positive and negative effects on the vectors it operates on. In this case, the operator is called a signed operator.

5. How do eigenvalues affect the behavior of an operator?

The eigenvalues of an operator determine its behavior and properties. For an operator with strictly positive eigenvalues, it indicates that the operator is a positive operator and has certain properties such as being invertible, having a unique solution, and preserving the direction of vectors. On the other hand, an operator with negative eigenvalues may have different properties and behavior, such as being non-invertible or having complex solutions.