Operator, eigenstate, small calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the operator e^{A} and how to prove that if |a\rangle is an eigenstate of A, then it is also an eigenstate of e^{A} with the eigenvalue of e^{a}. The correct approach involves using the Taylor expansion of the exponential and assuming that A is a bounded operator. The final solution shows that e^{A}|a\rangle = e^{a}|a\rangle.
frerk
Hello :-) I have a small question for you :-)

1. Homework Statement

The Operator [tex] e^{A} [/tex] is definded bei the Taylor expanion [tex] e^{A} = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!} . [/tex]
Prove that if [tex] |a \rangle[/tex] is an eigenstate of A, that is if [tex] A|a\rangle = a|a\rangle[/tex], then [tex] |a\rangle[/tex] is an eigenstate of [tex] e^{A}[/tex] with the eigenvalue of [tex] e^{a}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I show you a very bad attempt:
[tex] A|a \rangle = a|a \rangle\quad\quad\quad| : |a\rangle |e^{...} [/tex]
[tex] e^A =e^a \quad\quad\quad| * |a\rangle[/tex]
[tex] e^A|a\rangle = e^a|a\rangle [/tex]

I would be glad about an info how to do it right... thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
frerk said:
I show you a very bad attempt:
[tex] A|a \rangle = a|a \rangle\quad\quad\quad| : |a\rangle |e^{...} [/tex]
[tex] e^A =e^a \quad\quad\quad| * |a\rangle[/tex]
[tex] e^A|a\rangle = e^a|a\rangle [/tex]
I don't even understand what that means.

Start with ##e^A|a\rangle## and use the Taylor expansion of the exponential.

frerk said:
The Operator [tex] e^{A} [/tex] is definded bei the Taylor expanion [tex] e^{A} = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!} . [/tex]
This is a correct definition when ##A## is a bounded operator. However, operators occurring in QM (is this a QM exercise?) are typically not bounded, but they are usually self-adjoint, so you can use a suitable functional calculus.

frerk said:
I would be glad about an info how to do it right... thank you :)
In view of the above remark, let us assume in addition that ##A## is bounded. Then just apply the series definition, so the first two steps become:
$$
e^A|a\rangle = \left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n}{n!}}\right)|a\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n|a\rangle}{n!}}
$$
You continue.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Start with ##e^A|a\rangle## and use the Taylor expansion of the exponential.

ok, thank you :-)

Krylov said:
This is a correct definition when ##A## is a bounded operator. However, operators occurring in QM (is this a QM exercise?) are typically not bounded, but they are usually self-adjoint, so you can use a suitable functional calculus.
yes it is QM. ok thanks
Krylov said:
In view of the above remark, let us assume in addition that ##A## is bounded. Then just apply the series definition, so the first two steps become:
$$
A|a\rangle = \left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n}{n!}}\right)|a\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{A^n|a\rangle}{n!}}
$$
You continue.
I think you mean [tex] e^A |a\rangle = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!} )|a\rangle ?[/tex]
DrClaude used it and you also used it in the second term.

So I will try now:

[tex] e^A |a\rangle = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n}{n!}) |a\rangle = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{A^n|a\rangle }{n!} = \sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{a^n|a\rangle }{n!} = (\sum\nolimits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{a^n}{n!}) |a\rangle = e^a |a\rangle [/tex]

It think, that looks fine? :-)

frerk said:
I think you mean
Thank you, fixed. I think you would have known how to do this exercise.
frerk said:
It think, that looks fine? :-)
Yes, much better! :smile:

thank you both :-)

Likes S.G. Janssens

Related to Operator, eigenstate, small calculation

What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical symbol or function that operates on a mathematical object, such as a number or a function, to produce another mathematical object. In quantum mechanics, operators represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, or energy.

What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate, also known as an eigenvector, is a state or vector in a mathematical space that is unchanged when operated on by a specific operator. In quantum mechanics, eigenstates of an operator represent the possible states that a physical system can occupy.

What is a small calculation?

A small calculation refers to a simple mathematical calculation that can be done quickly and easily, usually involving basic arithmetic or algebra. In quantum mechanics, small calculations are often used to solve for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of operators.

How are operators and eigenstates related?

Operators and eigenstates are closely related in quantum mechanics. The eigenstates of an operator represent the possible states that a physical system can occupy, while the operator itself represents a physical observable. The eigenvalues of the operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of that observable on the system in the corresponding eigenstate.

Why are small calculations important in quantum mechanics?

Small calculations are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to solve for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of operators, which are key components in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems. Small calculations also help us make predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum systems in various scenarios.