Operation of Hamiltonian roots on wave functions

In summary, in Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics 2e, eq. 2.65 states that a+a- ψn = nψn. This is derived from the algebraic method, where the Schroedinger equation can be factored into [a+ a-] + 1/2 ħω ψ = Eψ or [a- a+] - 1/2 ħω ψ = Eψ. It is then shown that if ψ satisfies the Schroedinger equation with energy E, then a+ψ and a-ψ satisfy the equation with energies E+ħω and E-ħω, respectively. The eigenfunction part is proven,
SherLOCKed
How come a+a- ψn = nψn ? This is eq. 2.65 of Griffith, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2e. I followed the previous operation from the following analysis but I cannot get anywhere with this statement. Kindly help me with it. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

I only have 1st ed PDF and there, in the text "Algebraic method" he shows that the Schroedinger eqn

[ ..2 + .. 2] ##\psi = E\psi##​

can be factored into
##[a_+ a_- ] + {1\over 2 } \hbar \omega \psi = E\psi##
Or ##[a_- a_+ ] - {1\over 2 } \hbar \omega \psi = E\psi##.Then he proves that if ##\psi## satisfies the Schroedinger eqn, with energy ##E##, then ##a_+\psi## satisfies the Schroedinger eqn, with energy ##E+\hbar\omega##
and - same way - ##a_-\psi## satisfies the Schroedinger eqn, with energy ##E-\hbar\omega##

(Walking down the ladder there is a ground state (##\ {1\over 2 } \hbar \omega\ ##) and in n steps down you have subtracted n times ##\hbar\omega##.)

The eigenfunction part has now been shown. The normalization coefficient is left as an exercise. That's where the ##i\sqrt{\left (n+1\right) \hbar\omega\,} ## and ##-i\sqrt{n \hbar\omega\,} ## pop up.

Related to Operation of Hamiltonian roots on wave functions

1. What is the Hamiltonian operator in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the time-evolution of a quantum state.

2. How does the Hamiltonian operator act on wave functions?

The Hamiltonian operator acts on wave functions by multiplying them and taking their second derivative with respect to position. This results in an equation that describes the energy of the system at a given time.

3. What is the significance of the roots of the Hamiltonian operator on wave functions?

The roots of the Hamiltonian operator on wave functions correspond to the energy levels of the quantum system. These roots determine the possible energies that the system can have, and the corresponding wave functions represent the states of the system at those energy levels.

4. How does the operation of Hamiltonian roots on wave functions relate to the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics?

The operation of Hamiltonian roots on wave functions is essential in understanding the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics. It shows that the energy of a quantum system is not continuous but rather can only take on certain discrete values, determined by the roots of the Hamiltonian operator on the wave function.

5. Can the Hamiltonian operator be used to predict the behavior of a quantum system?

Yes, the Hamiltonian operator can be used to predict the behavior of a quantum system. By solving the Schrödinger equation, which involves the Hamiltonian operator, we can determine the time-evolution of the wave function and thus make predictions about the behavior of the system at different energy levels.