Online Primary Sources for History: Guide & Recommendations

• History
  • Thread starter Sebastian Martinez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sources
In summary, it is recommended to start by checking online libraries and archives such as the US national archives and the Library of Congress website for primary sources on American history. These sources can provide information on a variety of topics, including world history and US history prior to 1800. Additionally, university history departments and course outlines may also have recommended textbooks for further research. It is also advised to be mindful of proper referencing and avoiding an excessive amount of URLs in bibliographies.
Sebastian Martinez
Where can I find online primary sources for history?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Sebastian Martinez said:
Where can I find primary sources for history?
Uh ... a library?

Sebastian Martinez said:
Where can I find primary sources for history?
phinds said:
Uh ... a library?

Sebastian Martinez said:
What particular history topic? And what class level - High School, University?

StevieTNZ said:
What particular history topic? And what class level - High School, University?
College level, North America or the United States, between 1600 and 1877.

I also think you should go online. There you can get lots of useful links regarding the topic. There are also online libraries available on some sites, you can search over there.

Sebastian Martinez said:
College level, North America or the United States, between 1600 and 1877.
College as post secondary school education (after 17/18)? Or college also meaning High School in NZ/Australia etc?

What specific information about North America or the US between that period is needed? If you were given a course outline (only if you aren't at High School level) which contained a reading list, I would utilise that. Also using the library can be a good thing. Don't have in your bibliography all these URL's (http://owll.massey.ac.nz/referencing/apa-interactive.php).

Try Archives.org.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Try Archives.org.
Or the correct address, which is www.archive.org

Related to Online Primary Sources for History: Guide & Recommendations

What are online primary sources?

Online primary sources are original documents or materials from a specific time period or event that have been digitized and made available on the internet. These sources can include photographs, diaries, letters, government documents, newspapers, and other materials that offer a firsthand account of historical events.

Why are online primary sources important for studying history?

Online primary sources provide researchers with direct access to original materials from a particular time period or event. This allows for a more authentic and nuanced understanding of historical events, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret these sources in new ways.

What are some recommended websites for finding online primary sources for history?

Some recommended websites for finding online primary sources for history include the Library of Congress Digital Collections, National Archives Online Public Access, and Digital Public Library of America. Additionally, many universities and historical societies have digital collections of primary sources available on their websites.

How can I evaluate the credibility of online primary sources?

When evaluating the credibility of online primary sources, it is important to consider the source of the material, the author or creator, and the context in which the source was produced. It can also be helpful to compare the source with other primary sources from the same time period or event.

Are there any limitations to using online primary sources for historical research?

One limitation of using online primary sources is that they may not always be easily accessible or searchable. Additionally, it is important to be aware of potential biases in the sources and to use multiple sources to gain a well-rounded understanding of historical events.