One sample t-procedure or two sample t-procedure?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
Before making a decision about which procedure to use, it would be important to know what type of data is available to analyze, such as individual student information or just the number of classes missed.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A university is interested in whether there's a difference between students who live on campus and students who live off campus with respect to absenteeism. Over one semester, researchers take random samples of on-campus and off- campus students and record the number of classes each student misses. State whether you'd use one-sample or two-sample procedures to analyze the data.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I feel like either could work. On the one hand, you could just calculate the statistics for each group, off-campus and on-campus, and conduct a two sample t-procedure with that data. While on the other hand, you could pair one person with one from the other group based on similar characteristics such as GPA, course load, and extracurricular activities. I'm not sure which would be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
While on the other hand, you could pair one person with one from the other group based on similar characteristics such as GPA, course load, and extracurricular activities. I'm not sure which would be correct.

The problem stated what data the researchers recorded. It wasn't given that they recorded information about GPA, course load etc.

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to One sample t-procedure or two sample t-procedure?

1. What is the difference between a one sample t-procedure and a two sample t-procedure?

A one sample t-procedure is used when you want to compare the mean of a single sample to a known population mean. A two sample t-procedure is used when you want to compare the means of two independent samples.

2. When should I use a one sample t-procedure?

A one sample t-procedure should be used when you have a single sample and want to determine if the mean of that sample is significantly different from a known population mean. For example, you may want to see if the average test scores of a class of students is significantly different from the national average.

3. When should I use a two sample t-procedure?

A two sample t-procedure should be used when you have two independent samples and want to determine if the means of those samples are significantly different from each other. For example, you may want to see if there is a significant difference in the average income of male and female employees at a company.

4. How do I interpret the results of a one sample t-procedure or two sample t-procedure?

The results of a t-procedure will give you a t-statistic and a p-value. The t-statistic measures the difference between the sample means, and the p-value tells you the likelihood of observing this difference if the null hypothesis (that there is no difference between the means) is true. If the p-value is less than your chosen significance level (usually 0.05), then you can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant difference between the means.

5. Are there any assumptions that need to be met for a one sample t-procedure or two sample t-procedure to be valid?

Yes, there are several assumptions that need to be met for a t-procedure to be valid. These include: the data is normally distributed, the samples are independent, and the variances of the populations are equal (for two sample t-procedures). If these assumptions are not met, alternative statistical tests may need to be used.