One dimensional motion problem =/

In summary, a problem involving two trains traveling towards each other at different speeds and applying brakes has been discussed. The question asks for the braking distance of both trains and whether they will collide or not. The first train's braking distance was calculated to be 231m, using the formula x = (v_f^2 - v_i^2) / 2a. The second train's braking distance can be calculated in a similar manner. The conversation ends with the realization that using 980m as the initial position was incorrect.
Double D Edd
Hey everyone,

Well, I am sort of stuck on this problem:

Two trains, one traveling at 78 km/h and the other at 135 km/h, are headed toward one another along a straight, level track. When they are 980 m apart, each engineer sees the other's train and applies the brakes. The brakes decelerate each train at the rate of 1.0 m/s^2.

(a) What is the braking distance for the first train?

(b) What is the braking distance for the second train?

(c) Do they both collide? Yes or No.

This is what I did:

For the first part, since the original distance between the trains wasn't 980m, I decided to draw a diagram where they both apply the breaks and with the lease distance between them as 980m. So, I kept the initial position as 980m and tried to figure out the final position (where the first train stops), then took the final velocity as zero. I then applied the [v(t) = at+ v initial] and found t = 21.6s after converting the speed of the first train to m/s. Then I plugged that into the second equation for constant acceleration and ended up with 1213.28m, which I think is ridiculous. What am I doing wrong here? Of course, I can find out the answers for two and three once I get the first part. Any help or hints appreciated.

Edd.

Physics news on Phys.org
Double D Edd said:
I then applied the [v(t) = at+ v initial] and found t = 21.6s after converting the speed of the first train to m/s.
That's correct.

Double D Edd said:
Then I plugged that into the second equation for constant acceleration and ended up with 1213.28m, which I think is ridiculous.
1213.28m is way too much. What formula did you use? You should get something like 233m.

This kinematic equation might be very useful:

[tex]x = \frac{v_f^2 - v_i^2}{2a}[/tex]

I used X(t) = 1/2*a*t^2 + initialV*t + initial position. I put 980 as the initial position. And thanks for clarifying my time part :) And how did you get 233m XD, because that really makes sense, and I am going to try and get that.

Last edited:
Edd: to get the feel for this sort of thing you need to look up conversion on google. Or do the math. To go from kilometres per hour to metres per seocnd you multiply by .277778. So the first train is going at 21.66 m/s and decelerating at 1m/s and we're cooking on gas. - it's going to take 21+ seconds to stop, during which time it's going 21 metres per second, then 20 metres per second, then 19 metres per second, etc. The average speed during the stopping period is 11 m/s, and it lasts for 21 seconds, so we' re talking about something like 231m to stop. This tells you whether your arithmetic is in the right ball park, and if it is, you can repeat for the other train, and: easy peasy, bob's your knob, sorted!

Ohhhh! XD Now I get it. And I think me taking 980m as the initial position was ridiculous.

Thanks a lot, everyone :D.

Edd.

Related to One dimensional motion problem =/

What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line along a single axis. It can be described using only one coordinate, such as distance or displacement, and is often represented graphically with a position-time graph.

What are the key equations for one dimensional motion?

The key equations for one dimensional motion are the equations of motion, which include:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t

How do you calculate displacement and velocity from a position-time graph?

To calculate displacement from a position-time graph, find the change in position between two points on the graph. To calculate velocity, find the slope of the line connecting those two points.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be represented by the slope of a secant line on a position-time graph, while instantaneous velocity can be represented by the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the graph.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion in one dimension?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. If an object has a positive acceleration, it is speeding up in the positive direction. If an object has a negative acceleration, it is slowing down in the positive direction or speeding up in the negative direction. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount in each time interval, resulting in a linear position-time graph.