On the volumes of pyramids

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of volumes of pyramids and how to find the volume of different types of pyramids using a general formula. The formula is derived by considering the base area and a linear measure of the shape, and using integration and substitution to find the volume. Examples of finding the volume of specific pyramids, such as a cone, a tetrahedron, and a regular polygonal pyramid, are also provided. The conversation also touches on truncated pyramids and cones, as well as finding the volume of a pyramid with a non-square base.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
This topic is for questions and comments pertaining to this topic:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/volumes-pyramids-6131.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a solid whose base is that of an arbitrary flat two-dimensional shape, and as we move up the solid, the cross-sections cut horizontally are all similar to the base, and the change in some linear measure of these sections, such as the perimeter, is linear itself.

Let's let $A_i$ be the area of the base, and $r_i$ be some linear measure of its shape. We could then state:

\(\displaystyle A_i=kr_i^2\) where \(\displaystyle 0<k\) is the constant of proportionality.

This stems from the fact that the area of a two-dimensional surface is proportional to the square of some linear component of the surface shape.

We may find the volume by orienting an $x$-axis through the center of the solid and perpendicular to the slicing, with the origin at the base. Computing the volume of a slice, we find:

\(\displaystyle dV=kr_x^2\,dx\)

Now, let $r_x$ vary linearly from $r_i$ (the initial value) to $r_f$ (the final value) over the interval $[0,h]$, hence:

\(\displaystyle r_x=\frac{r_f-r_i}{h}x+r_i\)

Thus, we may state:

\(\displaystyle dV=k\left(\frac{r_f-r_i}{h}x+r_i \right)^2\,dx\)

And so, adding the slices through integration, we get the volume:

\(\displaystyle V=k\int_0^h\left(\frac{r_f-r_i}{h}x+r_i \right)^2\,dx\)

Using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{r_f-r_i}{h}x+r_i\,\therefore\,du=\frac{r_f-r_i}{h}\,dx\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{kh}{r_f-r_i}\int_{r_i}^{r_f}u^2\,du\)

Applying the FTOC, we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{kh}{3\left(r_f-r_i \right)}\left[u^3 \right]_{r_i}^{r_f}\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{kh\left(r_f^3-r_i^3 \right)}{3\left(r_f-r_i \right)}\)

Using the difference of cubes formula, we may write:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{kh\left(r_f-r_i \right)\left(r_f^2+r_fr_i+r_i^2 \right)}{3\left(r_f-r_i \right)}\)

Dividing out common factors:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{kh\left(r_f^2+r_fr_i+r_i^2 \right)}{3}\)

Distributing the factor $k$, we have:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(kr_f^2+\sqrt{kr_f^2}\sqrt{kr_i^2}+kr_i^2 \right)\)

Using \(\displaystyle A_i=kr_i^2,\,A_f=kr_f^2\), and rearranging, there results:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(A_i+\sqrt{A_iA_f}+A_f \right)\)

We may now use this general formula to find the formulas of the volumes of specific solids.

Volume of pyramid/cone:

If $A_i=B$ is the area of the base, and $A_f=0$ since the top is a point, then we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(B+\sqrt{B\cdot0}+0 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{1}{3}Bh\)

This should be familiar as the the oft-cited volume of a pyramid. This can be used for a cone as well, where \(\displaystyle B=\pi r^2\):

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h\)

Volume of tetrahedron:

This is a triangular pyramid have four congruent equilateral triangular faces. If we let $s$ be the length of the edges, then:

\(\displaystyle A_i=\frac{1}{2}s^2\sin\left(60^{\circ} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}s^2\)

\(\displaystyle A_f=0\)

To find the height, we may use the Pythagorean theorem:

\(\displaystyle h^2=\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}s \right)^2-\left(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}s \right)=\frac{2}{3}s^2\)

\(\displaystyle h=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}s\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}s\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}s^2 \right)=\frac{s^3}{6\sqrt{2}}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{12}s^3\)

Regular polygonal pyramid:

The area of an $n$-gon whose sides are $s$ is easily found to be:

\(\displaystyle A_i=\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)s^2\)

And so the volume is:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)s^2 \right)=\frac{hn}{12}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)s^2\)

Truncated pyramids/cones:

A truncated pyramid is one that does not come to a point, and so $A_f\ne0$. It is as if the "top" has been cut off.

Cone (frustum):

Let $R$ be the radius of the base, and $r$ be the radius of the top, and so we have:

\(\displaystyle A_i=\pi R^2\)

\(\displaystyle A_f=\pi r^2\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(\pi R^2+\sqrt{\pi R^2\cdot\pi r^2}+\pi r^2 \right)=\frac{\pi h}{3}\left(R^2+Rr+r^2 \right)\)

Square pyramid:

Let $a$ be the side lengths of the base and $b$ be the side lengths of the top:

\(\displaystyle A_i=a^2\)

\(\displaystyle A_f=b^2\)

Thus, we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(a^2+\sqrt{a^2b^2}+b^2 \right)=\frac{h}{3}\left(a^2+ab+b^2 \right)\)

Polygonal pyramid:

Let $a$ be the side lengths of the base $n$-gon and $b$ be the side lengths of the top $n$-gon, and we then have:

\(\displaystyle A_i=\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)a^2\)

\(\displaystyle A_f=\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)b^2\)

And thus, we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)a^2+\sqrt{\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)a^2\cdot\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)b^2}+\frac{n}{4}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)b^2 \right)=\frac{hn}{12}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)\left(a^2+ab+b^2 \right)\)

There are certainly many other pyramid types, but this gives the reader an idea how to apply the general formula we found to specific pyramidal solids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once upon a time I learned the following formula for volumes that have a flat base, a flat top, and that have those surfaces connected by a set of straight lines.

Suppose B is the area of the base, H the area of the top, and M the area halfway up.
Then the volume formula is:
$$V = \frac h 6 (B + 4M + H)$$

For instance for a pyramid or cone this is:
$$V = \frac h 6 (B + 4 \cdot \frac B 4 + 0) = \frac 1 3 B h$$

Related to On the volumes of pyramids

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a pyramid?

The formula for finding the volume of a pyramid is V = (1/3) x B x h, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the pyramid.

2. How is the volume of a pyramid different from other 3D shapes?

The volume of a pyramid is different from other 3D shapes because it has a unique formula that includes the base area and height, whereas other shapes may have more complicated formulas involving various dimensions.

3. Can the volume of a pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measure of the space occupied by the pyramid, and since space cannot have a negative value, the volume cannot be negative either.

4. How do you find the volume of an irregular pyramid?

To find the volume of an irregular pyramid, you can divide it into smaller, regular pyramids and use the formula V = (1/3) x B x h for each one. Then, add the volumes of the smaller pyramids together to get the total volume of the irregular pyramid.

5. Can the volume of a pyramid be infinite?

No, the volume of a pyramid cannot be infinite. It is a finite value that represents the amount of space the pyramid occupies. However, if the pyramid has no defined height, the volume will be considered undefined or zero.