On the Discussion of Possibility

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of "possibility" and how it can be interpreted differently. The speakers discuss the distinction between something being "possible" and "probable" and how it relates to the idea of something being "impossible." Some argue that anything is possible, but few things are probable, while others believe that some things are truly impossible. The conversation also includes a humorous example of a snake tap-dancing and the concept of "working" in different ways. Ultimately, the speakers agree that while some things may be unlikely, they are not necessarily impossible.
Drakkith
Mentor
Alright, am I the only one that hates discussing if something is "Possible"? In effect, you can say that anything is possible because you can never 100% prove that something is impossible. (I can't 100% gurantee that gravity won't turn off tomorrow, I just have no reason to believe it because we've never observed it happen and have no reason to think it will.)

To me, anything is "Possible", but very few things are "Probable". (Compared to what's Possible, since you can never say that something is 100% impossible)

I get into arguments with my roomate all the time and his argument always boils down to him saying "Well, anythings possible". It almost infuriates me. My view is that when someone tells me "Its POSSIBLE that a meteor will land on your head in 30 seconds", I like to reply with "Only if the meteor is already there heading for me."

Obviously my view is that if it's not there, it's not going to land on my head. We just don't know if it is there, hence the "It's possible" view.

Does anyone else feel this way or does anyone think I am being "close minded" or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I still contend that it is impossible to teach a snake to tap-dance, but otherwise I agree with you.

Danger said:
I still contend that it is impossible to teach a snake to tap-dance, but otherwise I agree with you.

Doesn't seem impossible to me...tail coiled in one shoe, neck looped through the laces of another...add an electric volt and *clatter clatter*

doesn't sound very good...hum

Danger said:

Ha, got to love the Danger replies. =)

G037H3 said:
Doesn't seem impossible to me...tail coiled in one shoe, neck looped through the laces of another...add an electric volt and *clatter clatter*

doesn't sound very good...hum

Damn! You found a flaw in my logic. I reluctantly concede defeat.

just agree and say its not very probable, he has no choice to agree with you
end of discussion

Well I'd say a human surviving without lungs and a brain (without outside help) is impossible.

My TV working without a source of electricity is impossible.

jarednjames said:
Well I'd say a human surviving without lungs and a brain (without outside help) is impossible.

My TV working without a source of electricity is impossible.

Not true, it could work as a paperweight without electricity.

lisab said:
Not true, it could work as a paperweight without electricity.

But that's not working in the way I meant it, nor in the manner for which it was designed. Nice try though.

Related to On the Discussion of Possibility

1. What is "On the Discussion of Possibility" about?

"On the Discussion of Possibility" is a philosophical essay written by the German philosopher Martin Heidegger. It explores the concept of "possibility" and its relationship with language and human existence.

2. Why is "On the Discussion of Possibility" considered an important work in philosophy?

"On the Discussion of Possibility" is considered an important work in philosophy because it presents a unique perspective on the nature of possibility and its role in shaping our understanding of reality. It also critiques traditional philosophical approaches to the concept of possibility and offers new insights and ideas.

3. How does Heidegger define "possibility" in his essay?

In his essay, Heidegger defines "possibility" as the potential for something to become actualized or to be realized. He argues that this potential is not something external or separate from human existence, but rather an inherent part of our being-in-the-world.

4. What is Heidegger's view on the relationship between language and possibility?

Heidegger argues that language is essential in our understanding and experience of possibility. He believes that language is not just a tool for communication, but also a way for us to reveal and understand the possibilities inherent in our existence.

5. How does "On the Discussion of Possibility" relate to Heidegger's overall philosophy?

"On the Discussion of Possibility" is a significant work within Heidegger's overall philosophy because it expands on his ideas of being-in-the-world and the importance of language in shaping our understanding of reality. It also touches on themes of authenticity and the search for meaning in our existence, which are central to Heidegger's philosophical thought.