Olivia Newton John: Travolta's Love Interest & Tragic Passing

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, John Travolta said that everyone wanted Olivia Newton-John for a girlfriend in the movie Grease, and it was sad to hear of her death. Max Born's granddaughter was lovely, and he thought that the 1978 track "Sam" was sloppy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As John Travolta said when they asked about having Olivia as his love interest in the movie Grease, everyone wanted Olivia for a girlfriend. I had a crush on her for decades. LOL! And it was very sad to hear of her passing. I found this especially touching and sad. Both of his brothers are gone and now so is she.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Max Born's granddaughter.

Likes haushofer and Ivan Seeking
Vanadium 50 said:
Max Born's granddaughter.
YES! I only learned that after she died.

Likes pinball1970
This was her last performance - in 2020

A lot of young people today may not realize that it really used to be like this. One moment everyone is at an amusement park minding their own business, and the next moment, everyone starts singing and dancing.

• Haha
Likes phinds
Ivan Seeking said:
A lot of young people today may not realize that it really used to be like this. One moment everyone is at an amusement park minding their own business, and the next moment, everyone starts singing and dancing.

After seeing this thread the other day, I went to solve one of the great mysteries : what words are they singing in the chorus of that song ? So, the lyrics are supposed to be "You're the one that I want"... but, they're actually singing "yathewallaballawoo" which is what I remember. Still mystified ; still under the impression that motorboating may be involved.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
I learned about Max Born's granddaughter from Dr Emil Wolf after taking a course from him in 1978, when "grease" was big. Dr Emil Wolf was coauthor of "Principles of Optics" with Max Born

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
She was lovely wasn’t she?

1690804107761.png

My favourite was always “Sam”

Likes hmmm27
I thought this was a bit sloppy in 1978, a girl track. Much preferred Grease lightning and yurwallloawon.
I like it now.

And this, the video is strange. I never saw the film but I recognised "Swan" from "The warriors," Michael Beck. Great track though.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I thought this was a bit sloppy in 1978, a girl track. Much preferred Grease lightning and yurwallloawon.
I like it now.
That was hers, originally ; go figger. Back in the day I thought it was a cover : it has a Sinatra vibe.

Really surprised at the quality of Travolta's vocal chops, though.

hmmm27 said:
That was hers, originally ; go figger. Back in the day I thought it was a cover : it has a Sinatra vibe.

Really surprised at the quality of Travolta's vocal chops, though.
Yeah decent range on him.

1. Who was Olivia Newton John?

Olivia Newton John was an Australian singer, songwriter, and actress. She rose to fame in the 1970s with her hit songs "Let Me Be There" and "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)".

2. How did Olivia Newton John become John Travolta's love interest?

Olivia Newton John and John Travolta starred together in the 1978 film Grease, where they played the iconic roles of Sandy and Danny. Their chemistry on screen led to rumors that they were romantically involved, but both have stated that they were just friends.

3. What was Olivia Newton John's cause of death?

Olivia Newton John is still alive and well. There have been rumors of her passing, but these are false. She has been battling cancer since 1992, but she is currently in remission and continues to perform and advocate for cancer research.

4. Did Olivia Newton John have a tragic passing?

No, Olivia Newton John is still alive. There have been rumors of her passing, but these are false. She has been battling cancer since 1992, but she is currently in remission and continues to perform and advocate for cancer research.

5. What is Olivia Newton John's legacy?

Olivia Newton John's legacy is that of a talented and successful artist who has made a lasting impact on the music and film industry. She has sold over 100 million records worldwide, won multiple awards, and continues to inspire others through her advocacy work for cancer research and environmental issues.