OK to refer to own ebook etc here

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary, it is generally not acceptable to plug your own ebook on this forum, but if it is consistent with the professional scientific literature and it is particularly well suited to answering a specific question, then it is appropriate to reference the relevant section.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is it ok to plug your own ebook, for example, on this General Discussion forum? Or your blog? Assuming that it's relevant to Physics Forums as a whole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is it ok to plug your own ebook, for example, on this General Discussion forum? Or your blog? Assuming that it's relevant to Physics Forums as a whole?
Usually it is not, as this isn't a publication in the allowed sense: peer-reviewed journal, textbook. There are some possible exceptions: books from renowned professors at a regular university or their scripts, and also sometimes webpages with funny, interesting or educative content. If none of these is given it is normally considered as a personal theory, and as such not based on reliable sources. In the end you can always ask @Greg Bernhardt for permission, but he usually doesn't give it, because it would create a situation, where others who have not been allowed to publish them here might feel unfairly treated, and we want to keep resources strictly to mainstream science, which is in our understanding difficult enough for students (and others) to learn.

Likes Borg
Thanks.

Swamp Thing said:
plug your own ebook, for example, on this General Discussion forum? Or your blog?
I don’t think that is acceptable anywhere on PF. However, IF your material is completely consistent with the mainstream professional scientific literature and it is particularly well suited to answering a specific question, then it is appropriate to reference the relevant section in response.

Please be sure that it is consistent with the professional scientific literature before doing that.

Likes symbolipoint
This makes good sense:
Dale said:
I don’t think that is acceptable anywhere on PF. However, IF your material is completely consistent with the mainstream professional scientific literature and it is particularly well suited to answering a specific question, then it is appropriate to reference the relevant section in response.

Please be sure that it is consistent with the professional scientific literature before doing that.

It seems to me that if the ebook is consistent with the professional scientific literature, one could point towards more conventional sources. If it's not, it doesn't belong here. Either way, it seems like there are better alternatives.

Related to OK to refer to own ebook etc here

1. Can I promote or advertise my own ebook on this platform?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to refer to your own ebook or other work on this platform. However, be sure to follow any specific guidelines or rules set by the platform regarding self-promotion.

2. Is it considered spam to constantly mention my ebook in discussions or comments?

Yes, repeatedly promoting your own ebook may be seen as spam and can be disruptive to the community. It is important to engage in meaningful discussions and only mention your ebook when it is relevant to the conversation.

3. Do I need to disclose that I am the author of the ebook when referring to it?

Yes, it is important to be transparent and disclose your involvement with the ebook when promoting it. This helps to establish trust with the audience and avoids any potential confusion or accusations of deception.

4. Can I include a direct link to my ebook in my posts or comments?

Some platforms may allow direct links to your ebook, but it is generally best to check with the platform's guidelines first. In any case, it is recommended to provide a link to your ebook in a professional and non-spammy manner, such as in your profile or in a relevant discussion thread.

5. Is there a limit to how often I can mention my ebook on this platform?

It is best to avoid constantly mentioning your ebook on any platform. Instead, focus on providing valuable contributions and only refer to your ebook when it is appropriate to do so. This will help to maintain a positive reputation and avoid any potential backlash from the community.