Oil Drop Electric Field Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct equation for finding the charge on a negatively charged oil drop in an electric field. The equation E = kq/r^2 is mentioned, but the person is unsure if it is applicable in this situation. They attempt to solve for q using different variations of the equation, but realize that they need to take the square root of k before plugging in values. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of units in the final answer. The final answer is determined to be 1.3 x 10^3.
yasemonkey

Homework Statement

An oil drop is charged negatively. How much charge is on the drop if the Electric Field is 6,400 N/C at a distance of 1.2 m?

Homework Equations

E=k q/r^2
I don't know if I should be using that equation for this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do E/(k x r^2) = q but that didn't work
I also tried E/r^2= q but that also didn't work

I know the answer has to be 1.3 x 10^3

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation for field strength, you are just not solving correctly for q.

A good check is whether or not your resulting expression has the correct physical units.

hmm... okay

and I'm right in saying k= 9 x 10^9

No. As many other constants, k is dimensionful and k = 9 x 10^9 N m^2/C^2 - units are important and the units of your final answer must also make sense.

Orodruin said:
No. As many other constants, k is dimensionful and k = 9 x 10^9 N m^2/C^2 - units are important and the units of your final answer must also make sense.
Oh I have to square root k x r^2 !

Related to Oil Drop Electric Field Problem

1. What is the oil drop electric field problem?

The oil drop electric field problem is a physics experiment that involves observing the behavior of oil droplets suspended in an electric field. It was first conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron.

2. How does the oil drop electric field problem work?

In this experiment, a charged oil droplet is placed between two charged plates. The electric field between the plates causes the droplet to move either upwards or downwards depending on the direction of the electric field. By measuring the droplet's movement and the strength of the electric field, the charge of the droplet can be calculated using the equation q=mgd/E, where q is the charge, m is the mass of the droplet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance traveled, and E is the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of the oil drop electric field problem?

The oil drop electric field problem is significant because it allowed for the determination of the charge of an electron, which was a crucial step in understanding the structure of atoms and the development of modern physics. It also helped to verify the theory of quantization of electric charge proposed by Max Planck and Albert Einstein.

4. What are some challenges with conducting the oil drop electric field problem?

One challenge with this experiment is the difficulty in obtaining accurate measurements due to the small size of the oil droplets and the effects of air resistance. Another challenge is ensuring that the oil droplets have a consistent charge, as any variation in charge can significantly affect the results.

5. How is the oil drop electric field problem relevant in today's world?

The oil drop electric field problem is still relevant today as it is used in various fields such as nanotechnology, medical research, and atmospheric science to study the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also serves as a fundamental demonstration of the principles of electrostatics and is often included in physics curricula at the high school and college level.