Ohm's Law, Resistance, and Power

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving resistors in series and parallel. The focus is on finding the correct current in the circuit and determining the power dissipated in each bulb. The correct current in the circuit is found by using the equations for resistors in series and parallel. It is also mentioned that the resistance of B and C in parallel is less than the resistance of A, resulting in a lower volt-drop. The conversation ends with a confirmation that the equations used are correct and can be verified with an ohmmeter.
jperentosh

Homework Statement

Please look at the attachment.

Homework Equations

ΔV=I*R
R=ΔV/I
Power=I*ΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that ΔV of A and ΔV of B are the same (each 3/2 V). Using this, I got that the current at A = 3/20 Amps. However, this means that the current at B and C is each 3/40 Amps. However, then the 1.5 V * 3/40 does not equal 10 ohms, which is given. How am I supposed to go about this problem to find the power dissipated in each bulb and find what changes in terms of bulb brightnesses in A and B if bulb C is unscrewed?

Attachments

• physics.PNG
    physics.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
You have one resistor in series with two others which are in parallel. You have not found the correct current in the circuit.

I said that ΔV of A and ΔV of B are the same (each 3/2 V)
The resistance of B and C in parallel is less than the resistance of A, so the volt-drop will be less.

How so? They're each 10 ohms.

J, they are in parallel. There are 2 possible paths for current so there is less total resistance for electrons being pushed through this path. You can think of this sort of like having 2 checkout lanes open at a grocery store. More shoppers can move through faster than if there were one lane open.

Resistors in series (in a row) are added as R1+R2. Resistors in parallel (multiple paths) are not added this way. Hint: If there are two parallel paths, both must have the same voltage across them.

jperentosh said:

Apply KCL to the point where A is connected to B and C. You will find the current through B (or C) will be half the current through A. So the voltage drop oved B will be half that of A.

jperentosh said:
resigned said:
J, they are in parallel.
CWatters said:
Apply KCL to the point where A is connected to B and C.
Thanks folks - jperentosh: yes they are correct. By now you should have seen the equations for resistors in series and parallel. You can always check with an ohmmeter if you don't believe it.

Related to Ohm's Law, Resistance, and Power

1. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electronics that describes the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that if the voltage increases, the current will also increase, but if the resistance increases, the current will decrease.

2. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current. This is represented by the formula R=V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. How does resistance affect the flow of current?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for current to flow. This means that as resistance increases, the flow of current decreases.

4. What is the unit of measurement for power?

The unit of measurement for power is watts (W). This is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In terms of Ohm's Law, power can be calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current (P=VI).

5. How does power relate to resistance?

Power is also affected by resistance, as seen in the formula P=VI. This means that as resistance increases, power decreases. This is because as current decreases due to higher resistance, less energy is being transferred or converted, resulting in a lower power output.