Ohm's Law - Identifying Constant in R=V/I Equation

In summary, according to Ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. The equation R=V/I represents this relationship, with R being the constant of proportionality. This means that for any variations of voltage, current, and resistance, the unknown value can be calculated with the two known values. However, the resistance may vary with temperature, but this does not invalidate Ohm's law.
Lim Y K
according to ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. so , the for equation , R= V/I, may i know which is the constant in the equation? i know the general form of direct proportion is y=kx or y/x=k but in R=V/I, i am unable to identify which is the constant. please help me with this. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

There is no constant in there other than whichever one you want to remain constant

so for your example R = V/I ... if V is steady and you measure the current flowing in the circuit, you can establish the resistance present
so for any variation of those 3, from any 2 knowns, you can work out the unknown value

Dave

Lim Y K said:
according to ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. so , the for equation , R= V/I, may i know which is the constant in the equation? i know the general form of direct proportion is y=kx or y/x=k but in R=V/I, i am unable to identify which is the constant. please help me with this. thank you
Why would the temperature need to remain constant? Resistance will vary with temperature but that doesn't invalidate Ohm's Law, it just means that for a fixed voltage, the current will fluctuate inversely with the resistance fluctuation

Ohm's law states that for constant physical conditions , the potential difference applied across a circuit is directly proportional to the current induced .

Or , V ∝i , and V=iR .

Thus the constant of proportionality , by ohm's law , is R .

I hope this helps .

Likes Lim Y K
Qwertywerty said:
Ohm's law states that for constant physical conditions , the potential difference applied across a circuit is directly proportional to the current induced .
OR, the current induced is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

Qwertywerty said:

Or , V ∝i , and V=iR .

Thus the constant of proportionality , by ohm's law , is R .

I hope this helps .

it does make sense to me...my notes states so as well but i just needed clarification

Related to Ohm's Law - Identifying Constant in R=V/I Equation

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across the conductor and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. What does R=V/I mean?

R=V/I is the mathematical representation of Ohm's Law, where R represents the resistance of the conductor in ohms, V represents the voltage applied to the conductor in volts, and I represents the current flowing through the conductor in amperes.

3. How do you use Ohm's Law to identify the constant in R=V/I?

To identify the constant in R=V/I, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the resistance (R). This will result in the equation R=V/I. The constant in this equation is the resistance, which remains constant as the voltage and current change.

4. Why is Ohm's Law important?

Ohm's Law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. It allows us to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit and determine how changes in one of these quantities will affect the others.

5. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all electrical circuits?

Ohm's Law can be applied to most electrical circuits, but there are some exceptions. It is most accurate for conductors that have a constant resistance, such as resistors. In circuits with non-ohmic components, such as diodes or transistors, Ohm's Law may not apply.