ODE Solution Question: Comparing A1(r,ε) and A2(r) with ε=0

• I
  • Thread starter Mentz114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses solving two ODEs with solutions ##A_1(r,\epsilon)## and ##A_2(r)##, and whether setting ##\epsilon=0## recovers ##A_2##. The answer is that it should, as long as the differential equation has a unique solution and the solutions agree at a point. However, more information is needed to determine the exact issue with the functions in question.
Mentz114
I've been solving these two ODEs

##\frac{d}{d\,r}\,A=F(A,r) + \epsilon f(r)## and ##\frac{d}{d\,r}\,A=F(A,r)##.

If the solutions are respectively ##A_1(r,\epsilon)## and ##A_2(r)## then will ##A_1(r,0) = A_2(r)## ?
I realize the answer could depend on the actual functions but with the ones I'm using it appears that setting ##\epsilon=0## does not recover ##A_2##.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weird stuff. In this answer, I assume that your differential equation has a unique solution (which is not always the case)

So for every ##\epsilon##, you have the ODE
$$\frac{d}{dr} A = F(A,r) + \epsilon f(r)$$

with solution ##A_1(r,\epsilon)##. In particular, for ##\epsilon = 0## you get the solution ##A_1(r,0)## which is a solution for ##\frac{d}{dr} A = F(A,r)##, so you should get the same solutions (if they agree at a point and the differential equation behaves nicely enough to get a unique solution).

Maybe post the exact functions/problem so we can see what goes wrong.

The question is quite ambiguous, too, because it would seem to suggest that ##F## is an integral function of ##f## but the two don't depend on same variables.

The question is old and the OP has not been on PF in a long time. If you want to discuss this please create a new thread. This one is locked.

Related to ODE Solution Question: Comparing A1(r,ε) and A2(r) with ε=0

1. What is the difference between A1(r,ε) and A2(r) with ε=0?

A1(r,ε) and A2(r) are both solutions to an ordinary differential equation (ODE) with a parameter ε. The main difference is that A1(r,ε) takes into account the value of ε, while A2(r) does not. This means that A1(r,ε) will give a different solution for each value of ε, while A2(r) will give the same solution regardless of the value of ε.

2. How do A1(r,ε) and A2(r) with ε=0 compare in terms of accuracy?

Since A1(r,ε) takes into account the value of ε, it may provide a more accurate solution for a specific value of ε. However, A2(r) may still be a good approximation for small values of ε.

3. Can A1(r,ε) and A2(r) with ε=0 be used interchangeably?

No, A1(r,ε) and A2(r) are not interchangeable as they represent different solutions to the same ODE. A1(r,ε) is a more general solution that takes into account the value of ε, while A2(r) is a specific solution for ε=0.

4. How does the value of ε affect the solutions A1(r,ε) and A2(r)?

The value of ε can greatly impact the solutions A1(r,ε) and A2(r). For A1(r,ε), different values of ε will result in different solutions. For A2(r), the value of ε=0 will result in a specific solution, while other values of ε may result in different solutions.

5. In what situations would it be beneficial to use A1(r,ε) over A2(r) with ε=0?

If the value of ε is an important factor in the solution of the ODE, then it would be beneficial to use A1(r,ε) over A2(r) with ε=0. This is because A1(r,ε) takes into account the value of ε, while A2(r) does not. Additionally, if a wide range of ε values need to be considered, A1(r,ε) would be a better choice as it provides a more general solution.