ODE by V.I Arnold (doubts about publishers)

• Analysis
  • Thread starter Julano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the person is considering buying Arnold's book of ODE and is trying to determine which edition is better between MIT Press and Springer. They note that the editions have different page quantities and may have differences in content. They suggest looking at the table of contents and mention a review on Amazon that compares the two editions. However, the person could only see the table of contents for the Springer edition and thanks the other person for showing them the review.
Julano
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying Arnold's book of ODE, but looking for it on the internet I have found two publishers which have this book printed: MIT Press and Springer. The main question is: which edition is better?

Both editions haven't the same quantity of pages, maybe because of their dimensions, but it makes me think that they haven't the same contents (like the edition of publisher "Rubiños" which doesn't have some sections).

Thanks a lot,

Julano

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you look into the table of contents? That would be a good indication.

Look at chapters and the length of those chapters specifically.

EDIT:
I found this review on amazon which should clarify the differences

Amazon said:
Be aware there are 2 versions of this book
available in English; this one from MIT press
is (contrary to one of the reviews above) is
translated from the *first* Russian edition;
there is another version from Springer-Verlag
translated from the *third* Russian edition.
They're translated by different people so
some wording etc is different but otherwise
they're similar, though not identical. The
later edition has some reworked passages
and modest amount of new material, but it's
not a hugely different book.
Both are excellent, are are all the other
books & papers I've seen by V.I. Arnol'd.

JorisL said:
Can't you look into the table of contents? That would be a good indication.

Look at chapters and the length of those chapters specifically.

EDIT:
I found this review on amazon which should clarify the differences
I could see the table of the Springer edition, only. MIT's table wasn't avaliable.

I didn't see that review, and it's the first one... Thanks for show me it. Thanks a lot for your help!

I only saw the review the second time I opened the page as well.
It was after I noticed that the table of contents wasn't available for the mit press version.

Related to ODE by V.I Arnold (doubts about publishers)

1. What is ODE by V.I Arnold?

ODE by V.I Arnold is a book that provides a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to ordinary differential equations.

2. Who is V.I Arnold?

Vladimir Igorevich Arnold (1937-2010) was a Russian mathematician and one of the most influential mathematicians of the 20th century. He made significant contributions to the study of differential equations, dynamical systems, and mathematical physics.

3. What makes ODE by V.I Arnold different from other books on the subject?

ODE by V.I Arnold is known for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its emphasis on geometrical and qualitative interpretations of the concepts. It also includes a wide range of examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the material.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading ODE by V.I Arnold?

While some knowledge of calculus and linear algebra is helpful, ODE by V.I Arnold is designed to be accessible to a wide range of readers, including undergraduate students majoring in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

5. Who publishes ODE by V.I Arnold?

ODE by V.I Arnold is published by Springer, a leading academic publisher that specializes in mathematics, science, and technology. It is also available in various formats, including print, e-book, and online.