Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve a second degree ode with respect to z using a summation of Bessel functions of first and second kind. However, the MATLAB ode solver does not provide an explicit solution. The conversation also suggests using a change of independent variable to convert the DE to a DE in y and finding a solution in the form of AiryAi and AiryBi functions. The solution found also involves a 3rd degree polynomial and a transformation from Airy functions to Bessel functions.
bloodlines
Hi friends,

I have been trying to solve the ode of second degree below with respect to z:

d2y/dz2=(i/a*z+b)*y

i is the complex i, a and b are constants

i ended up with the summation of bessel functions of first end second kind. Then I checked with MATLAB ode solver it gives no explicit solution. please help me.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just scrap the i/a thing for now and call it k and consider the equation:

[tex]y''-(kz+b)y=0[/tex]

Now, suppose we know the solution to:

[tex]y''-xy=0[/tex]

in terms of AiryAi and AiryBi functions.

Then consider a change of independent variable:

[tex]u=\frac{b+kz}{k^{2/3}}[/tex]

and convert the DE to a DE in y as a function of u. That is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=\frac{dy}{dz}\frac{dz}{du}[/tex]

then compute the second derivative and make those substitutions and see if you get it in the form:

[tex]y''-uy=0[/tex]

Which the solution is C_1 AiryAi(u)+C_2 AiryBi(u)

or for the original equation:

[tex]C_1 AiryAi(\frac{b+kz}{k^{2/3}})+C_2 AiryBi(\frac{b+kz}{k^{2/3}})[/tex]

Thank you so much, I am also trying to solve for

d2y/dz2=i*y/(a*z^3+b*z^2+c*z+d)

could you help me with this one too? I appreciate your help.

By the I got a solution like:

y=m*[C1*besselj(1,2*m*sqrt(-i)/a)+C2*bessely(1,2*m*sqrt(-i)/a)]

where m=sqrt(a*z+b)

is this another form of the same solution (Airy transform to bessel)?

if you could help with the 3rd degree polynomial, that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Related to Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient

1. What is an "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient"?

An "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) where the coefficient of the highest derivative term is a polynomial function. This means that the equation involves taking the second derivative of the dependent variable, and the coefficient of this term is a polynomial expression.

2. How do you solve an "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient"?

The general method for solving an "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" is by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the given equation, and then adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation (where the right side is equal to 0).

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient"?

A homogeneous "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" has a right side equal to 0, meaning that the equation is in the form of f(x) = 0. A non-homogeneous "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" has a non-zero right side, meaning that the equation is in the form of f(x) = g(x), where g(x) is a function of x.

4. What are some real-life applications of "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient"?

"Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" equations can be used to model various physical systems, such as oscillating springs, damped harmonic motion, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in economics, biology, and engineering to describe various phenomena.

5. Can an "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" have imaginary solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an "Ode 2nd degree with a polynomial as a coefficient" to have imaginary solutions. This occurs when the coefficients of the equation are complex numbers, which can happen in certain applications such as in electrical circuits.