Ocean Surface Current Visualization-worldwide

In summary, the visualization shows ocean surface currents around the world from June 2005 to December 2007 without narration or annotations. It offers a simple yet captivating experience, showcasing the intricate patterns and movements of the ocean. The file sizes for the downloadable visualization are huge, but the level of detail and accuracy make it worth it. It could be a useful tool for education and research purposes.
Bobbywhy
Gold Member
This visualization shows ocean surface currents around the world during the period from June 2005 through December 2007. The visualization does not include a narration or annotations; the goal was to use ocean flow data to create a simple, visceral experience.

(beware, the downloadable visualization files are HUGE)

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003800/a003827/

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Nice thing.

I would love to be able to watch it as in Google Earth, selecting places I am interested in.

Actually I wonder if such a program would be not even smaller than the movie I just downloaded. Most of the displayed information is an extrapolation, so perhaps it is enough to remember a vector for just every whole coordinate (degs, latt & long) - and that can be stored with a reasonable accuracy in just two bytes, so 128 kB per whole map (land included), and I doubt they have data better than one measurement per day. That gives around 47 MB per year - minus 25% for lands, but perhaps more dense grid from better known areas. Still, even at 100 MB per year that's far from several GB.

Wow, this is really fascinating! It's amazing to see the intricate patterns and movements of the ocean currents all around the world. It's almost like watching a living, breathing organism. The lack of narration or annotations actually adds to the experience, allowing the viewer to simply observe and appreciate the beauty and complexity of our planet's oceans. I can imagine this being a great tool for educational purposes, as well as for researchers studying ocean currents. And yes, I definitely noticed the warning about the file sizes – they are massive! But I can see why, as the level of detail and accuracy in this visualization is truly impressive. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Related to Ocean Surface Current Visualization-worldwide

1. How is ocean surface current data collected and visualized worldwide?

Ocean surface current data is collected through various methods, including satellite imagery, buoys, and ship measurements. This data is then processed and visualized using computer models and mapping techniques.

2. What is the importance of visualizing ocean surface currents?

Visualizing ocean surface currents is crucial for understanding and predicting weather patterns, ocean circulation patterns, and marine ecosystems. It also aids in navigation and maritime operations.

3. Are there any online platforms or tools available for viewing ocean surface current visualizations?

Yes, there are several online platforms and tools that provide access to ocean surface current visualizations, such as NOAA's Ocean Surface Current Analysis Real-time (OSCAR) and Earth.Nullschool.net.

4. How can ocean surface current visualizations be used for scientific research?

Ocean surface current visualizations can be used for a wide range of scientific research, including studying global climate patterns, tracking the movement of pollutants and marine debris, and understanding the impact of ocean currents on marine life and ecosystems.

5. How accurate are ocean surface current visualizations?

The accuracy of ocean surface current visualizations depends on the quality of the data used and the methods used to process and visualize it. Generally, satellite data is considered to be highly accurate, while data from buoys and ships may have some limitations.