Obtaining the Green Function for Euler Beam with Specific Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation was about finding the Green function for the operator F[u(x)] = u'''' and the boundary conditions u(0) = u'(0) = u(1) = u'(1) = 0. The speaker had managed to solve the differential equation and obtain some conditions for the constants, but was unsure of how to find the remaining ones. They were then given a hint to integrate the differential equation over a small window around the boundary x=s, which provided another condition. The speaker then mentioned that they were trying to find jump conditions for the second and first derivatives. The expert provided another hint about the integral of a delta function and the discontinuity of the step function, which led to the speaker finding
muzialis
Hello there,

I would like to obtain the Green function for the operator F, F [u(x)] = u '''', and the boundary conditions u(0) = u'(0) = u (1) = u' (1) = 0.

I am looking for a function G ( x, s ) such that G'''' (x,s) = delta (x-s) (the apecis referring to differentiation w.r.t. x, and delta referring to Dirac's function).

All I managed to do is the following:

1) solve the ode for x other than s, u = a +b*x + c * x^2 +d * x^3
2) considering the first two B.C. for x < s, and the other two for x > s I get some conditions for the constants in terms of linear equations
3) an additional equation could be written to impose continuity at s

But then? What other conditions are avaialbe to determine the missing constants?

Thanks as usual

Muzialis

Physics news on Phys.org
muzialis said:
Hello there,

I would like to obtain the Green function for the operator F, F [u(x)] = u '''', and the boundary conditions u(0) = u'(0) = u (1) = u' (1) = 0.I am looking for a function G ( x, s ) such that G'''' (x,s) = delta (x-s) (the apecis referring to differentiation w.r.t. x, and delta referring to Dirac's function).

All I managed to do is the following:

1) solve the ode for x other than s, u = a +b*x + c * x^2 +d * x^3
2) considering the first two B.C. for x < s, and the other two for x > s I get some conditions for the constants in terms of linear equations
3) an additional equation could be written to impose continuity at s

But then? What other conditions are avaialbe to determine the missing constants?

Thanks as usual

Muzialis

You can generate another condition by integrating your differential equation for G(x,s) over a small window around x = s. This will give you a condition that relates the third derivatives of G(x,s) on each side of the boundary x = s.

If I recall correctly, the lower order derivatives should still be continuous; only the highest derivative is discontinuous (as you show by integrating the differential equation to get the condition mentioned above). This will provide the last two equations you need to solve for all of the coefficients.

Also, just to make sure you are aware, you have 8 constants: the a,b,c and d are different on each side of x = s.

Last edited:
Mute,

I was aware of the 2 * 4 = 8 constants (thanks anyhow a lot). To recap, of the initial 8 constants only 4 need determining, as the others are taken care of by the boundary conditions for x > s and x < s.
Continuity at x = s provides another equation, and we arrive at your suggestion.
Assuming I have understood, the integration of the DE between say (s-c) and (s+c) yields that the jump in the third derivative of G equals 1.
This was extremely welcome but I still need two more conditions, assuming I have understood your help.

I am trying to work if the solution to my problem is to find similar jump conditions for the second and first derivatives.

Many thanks

muzialis said:
Mute,I was aware of the 2 * 4 = 8 constants (thanks anyhow a lot). To recap, of the initial 8 constants only 4 need determining, as the others are taken care of by the boundary conditions for x > s and x < s.
Continuity at x = s provides another equation, and we arrive at your suggestion.
Assuming I have understood, the integration of the DE between say (s-c) and (s+c) yields that the jump in the third derivative of G equals 1.
This was extremely welcome but I still need two more conditions, assuming I have understood your help.

I am trying to work if the solution to my problem is to find similar jump conditions for the second and first derivatives.

Many thanks

Perhaps you were writing a reply while I was editing my previous post, but I added that the other derivatives should be continuous across x=s, giving you the last two equations that you need.

Perhaps I should give some hint as to how you can convince yourself that should be the case: the integral of a delta function is a step function:

$$\int_{-\infty}^x dx'~\delta(x'-s) = \Theta(x-s).$$

This is a discontinuous function. If you integrate the step function, is the result continuous or discontinuous? Why? Along this line of thought you should be able to figure out that this implies that only the highest derivative of your Green's function has a discontinuity.

Last edited:
Thta was indeed the case Mute, thank you very much your first hint was sufficient, I have got my solution, much appreciated!

Related to Obtaining the Green Function for Euler Beam with Specific Boundary Conditions

1. What is the Green function for Euler beam?

The Green function for Euler beam is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations for a beam subjected to a load. It represents the response of a beam at a specific point due to a unit load applied at another point along the beam.

2. How is the Green function for Euler beam derived?

The Green function for Euler beam is derived by solving the differential equation that governs the behavior of the beam under a unit load, using the method of separation of variables. This results in a function that satisfies the boundary conditions and represents the beam's response to a unit load.

3. What are the applications of the Green function for Euler beam?

The Green function for Euler beam is commonly used in structural engineering to analyze the behavior of beams under different loading conditions. It can also be applied in other fields such as mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and physics to solve differential equations related to beam bending.

4. Can the Green function for Euler beam be used for non-uniform beams?

Yes, the Green function for Euler beam can be used for non-uniform beams as long as the beam is subjected to a unit load. However, the derivation and application of the Green function may differ for non-uniform beams compared to uniform beams.

5. Is the Green function for Euler beam a unique solution?

Yes, the Green function for Euler beam is a unique solution that satisfies the governing differential equation and the boundary conditions. It represents the response of a beam to a unit load and can be used to find the solution for different loading scenarios by superposition.