Obtaining kinetic energy equation.

In summary, the question is about finding the kinetic energy formula for a mass described by a position equation. The solution involves taking derivatives of the position functions and using Pythagoras' theorem to calculate the KE in both x and y directions and adding them together.
Pietervv
The question is about 2 sticks standing above each other, but i have a more general question.

The position of my mass is described by: (2rsin(a) - rsin(b) , 2rcos(a)+rcos(b))

the goal is to get a formula for the kinetic energy, so i need the speed of the mass.

If i take the derivatives of both functions i get the speed in x and y direction.

So my question is: is it allowed for the v in (mv^2)/2 to summ up the velocities in both directions and to use it as the formula of v in the kinetic energy equationThis is my first post on this forum, so sorry for the lay-out of this question which is probably wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You can't just sum them, you have to use Pythagoras' theorem.

sk1105 said:
you have to use Pythagoras' theorem.
From which it follows that what you can do is calculate the KEs in the two directions separately and add those.

Related to Obtaining kinetic energy equation.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that is associated with the movement of an object.

What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy, and they are related through the law of conservation of energy. When an object loses potential energy, it gains an equal amount of kinetic energy, and vice versa.

What units are used to measure kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI system. In some cases, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).

How can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion can occur through processes like friction, collisions, or chemical reactions.