Obtaining General Solution of ODE

In summary, the conversation was about obtaining the general solution for an ODE. The equation was turned into d^2y/dx^2=(y/x)^2 and the question was whether it can be simplified and integrated normally. The expert believes it can be solved by rewriting it as dy/dx = +/- y/x and solving both equations. It was also noted that there is a distinction between d^2y/dx^2 and (dy/dx)^2.
Munir M

Homework Statement

So they want me to obtain the general solution for this ODE.
Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 12.00.43.png

Homework Equations

I have managed to turn it into d^2y/dx^2=(y/x)^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, can I simply make d^2y/dx^2 into (dy/dx)^2, cancel the power of 2 from both sides of the equation and then integrate it normally?

If not, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can however, just make sure that you re-write it as dy/dx = +/- y/xAlso note the distinction that d^2y/dx^2 = d/dx(dy/dx) i.e. differentiating dy/dx wrt x and (dy/dx)*(dy/dx) = (dy/dx)^2.

rock.freak667 said:
I believe you can however, just make sure that you re-write it as dy/dx = +/- y/x
In other words, solve dy/dx = y/x as well as dy/dx = -y/x.

Mark44 said:
In other words, solve dy/dx = y/x as well as dy/dx = -y/x.

Thanks guys!

Related to Obtaining General Solution of ODE

1. What is a general solution of an ODE?

The general solution of an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a solution that includes all possible solutions to the equation, usually in the form of a function with one or more arbitrary constants. It is not specific to any initial or boundary conditions.

2. How do you obtain a general solution of an ODE?

To obtain a general solution of an ODE, you need to integrate the equation with respect to the variable that the derivative is taken with respect to. This will result in a function with one or more arbitrary constants, which can then be solved for using initial or boundary conditions.

3. Can a general solution be unique?

No, a general solution is not unique. It includes all possible solutions to the ODE, so there can be infinitely many general solutions for a single ODE. To obtain a unique solution, initial or boundary conditions must be specified.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution includes all possible solutions to an ODE, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the ODE and any specified initial or boundary conditions. A particular solution can be obtained by plugging in the specific values for the arbitrary constants in the general solution.

5. Is there a general method for obtaining the general solution of any ODE?

Yes, there are various methods for obtaining the general solution of an ODE, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The method used will depend on the specific form of the ODE. In some cases, it may not be possible to obtain a closed-form general solution and numerical methods may be used instead.