Object Distance From Converging Lens for 1% Focal Length Difference

In summary, to find the object distance (do) for a converging lens where the difference between the image distance (di) and the focal length (f) is 1% of the focal length, use the equation 1/do + 1/(f+0.01f) = 1/f. Or, alternatively, do = 1.01f.
spoonthrower
How far away from a converging lens must an object be ( in terms of focal length, f ) so that the difference between the image distance and the focal lengh is 1% of the focal length?

I tried to translate the words into an equation based on the thin lens equation but i don't know if it is right or how to solve it for x in terms of f: tell me if I am right:

1/xf + 1/(f+.01f) = 1/f

please help! thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Difference" means subtraction.

f-di=.01f so di=?

then, find do.

Seems right to me. You could also go the other way 0.99f.

Oops. di will be greater than f, so you were right there. di=1.01f .

and do, call it "x" or "do" but not "xf"

Related to Object Distance From Converging Lens for 1% Focal Length Difference

1. How does the focal length affect the object distance in a converging lens?

The focal length is the distance between the center of the lens and the focal point, which is where the light rays converge. As the focal length increases, the angle at which the light rays enter the lens decreases, causing the object distance to increase. Similarly, as the focal length decreases, the angle of the light rays increases, causing the object distance to decrease.

2. What is the relationship between the object distance and the focal length in a converging lens?

The relationship between object distance and focal length is inversely proportional. This means that as one increases, the other decreases and vice versa. In other words, as the focal length increases, the object distance decreases and vice versa.

3. How does a 1% difference in focal length affect the object distance in a converging lens?

A 1% difference in focal length will result in a negligible change in the object distance. This is because the relationship between focal length and object distance is inversely proportional. A small change in the focal length will only result in a small change in the object distance.

4. Is the object distance affected by the material or shape of the lens?

Yes, the object distance can be affected by the material and shape of the lens. Different materials and shapes can change the way light passes through the lens, which can alter the focal length and ultimately affect the object distance.

5. How can I calculate the object distance for a specific focal length in a converging lens?

The formula for calculating the object distance in a converging lens is: object distance = focal length x (image distance / image distance - focal length). Simply plug in the known values for focal length and image distance to calculate the object distance.