Oakland/East Bay weather vs. Seattle

• Thread starter monix.denix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weather
In summary, according to this user, the East Bay part of the San Francisco metro area has a weather pattern similar to Seattle, with a few clear days throughout the year, moderate temperatures, and fewer weeks of unbreakable clouds.
monix.denix
Today's weather in Seattle is amazing! Can anyone currently living in Seattle give me an idea as to how often these type days (few or no clouds, nice blue sky, moderate temps), occur in the East Bay part of the San Francisco metro area?

I am considering a move to that area because of a job opportunity in San Francisco. My other half and I have come to the conclusion that we are most likely to own a home in that area if it is in the Berkeley or Oakland area (generally). Without turning this discussion into one of real estate, and realizing that where I may be working in San Francisco has a sort of unique weather situation of its own, what is East Bay weather like? Are there more clear days throughout the year as compared to Seattle? How are the temps, pretty moderate like Seattle from what I can see? Are there weeks of seemingly unbreakable clouds like there are here in the winter (lately spring, summer and fall too).

I don't need this type of weather everyday, heck, I grew up in New Jersey with cold and depressing winters. I do miss the fact that even in New Jersey during the winter there were days with some sun. I'm hoping the East Bay area may give me some of that back. I have had difficulty adjusting to the cloudy Seattle weather, even after four years of being here.

One last unrelated question, how green and lush is the East Bay area? I'm into landscaping, nice gardens and lush greenery. Am I going to be giving this up? It's been a few years since I've visited and I can't remember too well.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oakland is hot and dry in the summer. Frost is rare. Many things grow well there.

But um, this is the Washington forum. Maybe you should have this post moved to the California forum. Seattle climate does not resemble Oakland climate.

From the East Bay here... Temps are equally moderate, but we don't get as much rain as you guys do... Summer weather can range from 70s-90s depending on where you are in the Bay Area. If you live closer to San Francisco, you'd see fog almost every day during the winter, but the rest of the East Bay is relatively mild...

Lush greenery? I'd say there are some great parks in the Bay Area... Golden Gate Park in SF is amazing all year long, the hills can be very dry during the summer, but then again it just hasn't rained in a while here...

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell does this have to do with engineering?

Topher925 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell does this have to do with engineering?
Loads! We need to know where it's best to take our 3-hour lunch breaks!

Related to Oakland/East Bay weather vs. Seattle

What is the average temperature difference between Oakland/East Bay and Seattle?

The average temperature in Oakland/East Bay is around 70°F, while in Seattle it is around 55°F. This means that Oakland/East Bay is generally warmer than Seattle.

Does Oakland/East Bay get more rainfall than Seattle?

No, Seattle actually receives more rainfall than Oakland/East Bay. Seattle has an average of 38 inches of rain per year, while Oakland/East Bay has an average of 24 inches.

Which city has more sunny days, Oakland/East Bay or Seattle?

Oakland/East Bay has more sunny days than Seattle. On average, Oakland/East Bay has 260 sunny days per year, while Seattle has only 152 days.

Are there any major weather events that occur in Oakland/East Bay and Seattle?

Oakland/East Bay is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the San Andreas Fault. Seattle, on the other hand, experiences heavy rainfall and windstorms during the winter months.

What is the best time of year to visit Oakland/East Bay and Seattle?

The best time to visit Oakland/East Bay is during the summer months when the weather is warm and sunny. Seattle is best visited during the summer as well, when the weather is mild and there is less rain.