Nyquist frequency of human eye.

In summary, the refresh rate for monitors and televisions is determined by the Flicker Fusion Frequency of the human eye. This means finding the rate that the eye will not perceive flickering in digital images, which can range from 10-120Hz. However, the refresh rate can also be affected by the content being displayed, with high quality TV at 240fps and most video content between 14 and 60 FPS. Ultimately, the refresh rate depends on the specific monitor design and the content being shown.
Fusiontron
I'm designing a monitor and I've been getting various answers to this, seems to really depend. I've gotten everything from 10-120Hz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's is not really a Nyquist for the eye, the eye is "analog" - for monitors, and televisions you are looking for the refresh rate that the eye will not perceive the flicker - or strobbing of a digital image. The eye can pick up individual images at pretty high speed. That will depend on what will be on the monitor - High quality TV are at 240fps - but then it will still depend on the content and does it introduce distortion. Keep in mind that most video content is between 14 and 60 FPS

Fusiontron said:
I'm designing a monitor and I've been getting various answers to this, seems to really depend. I've gotten everything from 10-120Hz.

A better name for this is Flicker Fusion Frequency...

Related to Nyquist frequency of human eye.

1. What is the Nyquist frequency of the human eye?

The Nyquist frequency of the human eye is the highest frequency that the eye can perceive. It is typically estimated to be around 60 cycles per degree, but can vary slightly from person to person.

2. How is the Nyquist frequency related to human vision?

The Nyquist frequency is closely related to human vision because it determines the maximum amount of detail that can be perceived by the eye. This frequency is important in fields such as digital imaging and virtual reality.

3. How is the Nyquist frequency affected by age?

The Nyquist frequency of the human eye can decrease with age, as the eye's ability to detect high frequencies may deteriorate. This can lead to a decrease in visual acuity and the ability to perceive fine details.

4. What is the significance of the Nyquist frequency in digital imaging?

In digital imaging, the Nyquist frequency is important in determining the sampling rate for capturing images. If the sampling rate is too low, high frequency details may be lost, resulting in a loss of image quality.

5. Can the Nyquist frequency be improved?

There are various methods that can potentially improve the Nyquist frequency of the human eye, such as corrective lenses or laser eye surgery. However, the maximum Nyquist frequency is ultimately limited by the eye's physical structure and cannot be improved beyond a certain point.